Charles Schwab - Great Company. Employee first, attitude. Fun environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"Great Company. Employee first, attitude. Fun environment."

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Operations Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced. Fun, never a dull moment. Always learning something new. Paid sabbatical every 5th year!

Cons

Pay is so-so. Can't advance unless you are licensed (to be expected)

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Very corporate, not innovative, unwillingness to try new things"

Former Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. No overtime (not common as a contractor anyway).

Cons

I was brought in as a contractor to help manage part of their online efforts and bring some fresh ideas to the table. My boss seemed very open and willing to implement these ideas, but I was always shot down by my coworker who constantly cited lack of resources and time to implement anything. Many people walk around like frightened birds, worried about the "proper" way to do things. And forget about taking a break while you're working, because all outside email and social media sites are blocked. You'll be spending a lot of time on your smartphone.

Advice to Management

Give employees more resources to innovate; they are too bogged down with plodding through their daily tasks to make drastic changes that would really benefit the organization.

"The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked! Potential New Hires Researching the Company: DO NOT ACCEPT!"

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Several great coworkers
    - Good insurance (although apparently this has since been ruined...)
    - The day you leave will bring about a wonderful feeling of freedom.

Cons

- Literally everything else. Management does not care to assist you in your job or on the job learning, although most lack the skills to have the ability to help at all. Compensation is poor for the tediousness of answering 70 - 80 phone calls a day (also, new hires will be paid more then you about a year after your hire. Ask for an increase to just balance this out? You will literally have your loyalty question or get fired). Phone calls are the ENTIRE scope of your work (don't let HR lie to you, they purely get compensated for recruiting). You will be judged entirely on having clients click in specific areas and selling less then helpful Schwab tools. If you spend too long helping a client, no matter what wonderful thing you have done for them, you will have a conversation with your manager about call times and helping the client in the least amount of time possible. In other words, get them to click somewhere, transfer money in and hang up immediately.

Even though there is no time for training, there are plenty of hours free for team meetings to share what your favorite restaurant is with the group! Turnover is at about 30 - 40%, I literally saw my 12 person team go through about 10 people... in a year.

You will get licensed and Schwab will pay for it, but they will hold it over your head every time you are up for a performance review. So, get excited for your possible 2% raise. Bonuses were small during my time, but apparently are getting even worse. They will be around $2,000 to maybe $3,000 a year (this includes $500 quarterly bonuses). You will NEVER receive the "possible" $5,000 to $6,000 bonus.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A JOB HERE: Read the reviews. Pretty much every negative one is at least 90% truth. Most positive ones were written by managers, I personally witnessed several.

Advice to Management

There is no point in providing advice. The company gets worse and worse in its treatment to employees. 70% of people there are dying to find a new job so they can leave no matter what your "anonymous" employment surveys show.