Charles Schwab - Good job, good benefits. But upward mobility is hard | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"Good job, good benefits. But upward mobility is hard"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits---medical, dental, vision, retirement fund, etc.
- employee can get a 1-month sabbatical, paid, after working at Schwab for 5 years as an FTE
-Good company culture.
-Depending on your department, good salary. I work in marketing division and have a very good SF salary while I work in a smaller city in the Midwest.
-I enjoy working with a lot of smart, talented, healthy, down-to-earth nice people and see a lot of nice people in other divisions.
-upward mobility is easy if you are a longtime employee
-ergonomic setup is a great benefit

Cons

- I know call center folks have pay similar to other companies, which is a too low-end salary rate being that Schwab call center employees need to be certified with Series 7 etc.
- upward mobility is difficult in various departments if you are not a long time employee
- I work in a division with some long-time employees who are unprofessional and outright mean and vindictive to their fellow employees.I was surprised that they cannot be reasoned with and called out to speak and behave in reasonable tones. Because of their long-standing employment nothing serious is done about their behavior.
-as in any work environment, favoritism exists. Favorites, those with longer work relationships or friendships with upper management, get the better projects and the better opportunities. Some inexperienced people have been put in management or director positions. This has caused a lot of mistakes, resistance to process, improvements and stress overall.
- Schwab's implementation of multi-geography workforce and the process of relocating SF employees, and letting go of SF-based positions and rehiring those positions in branches in smaller cities is difficult for SF employees. some long-time SF employees are threatened, who can blame them. This has caused some friction in the ranks when old employees must work with new employees who have replaced their old colleagues. Unprofessional things happen but these are humans whose livelihoods are at stake.

Advice to Management

I have seen some managers directors not do their jobs well. i recommend that anonymous reverse reviews(not complaints but reviews) for performance of upper management should be seriously considered.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Any port in a storm, so if you need a job, Schwab has jobs"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the checks don't bounce and Schwab is committed to at least keeping up the appearance that they are forward thinking

Cons

it's no place to be if you have any kind of ambition

Advice to Management

Lead. Spend fewer hours holding monthly 1:1 's and more thinking of ways you could improve our company.

2. "A fulfilling career that has provided a wealth of experience with a company of high integrity."

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unlike traditional brokerage firms, employees at Charles Schwab are salary based employees that are encouraged to always do what is in the best interest of the client. Conflicts of interest are minimal. Continuing education and career advancement are encouraged, and Schwab provides partial tuition and industry exam reimbursement.

Cons

Career advancement within Schwab can be limited by your geographic location. Schwab has their operations geographically diversified across the US, but the main operations are located in San Francisco, Denver, Phoenix, Indianapolis, Orlando and Austin. Proximity to a location with operations that match your career interests can play an important role.

Advice to Management

The mandate of Schwab is meaningful, and the role Schwab plays in reshaping the industry continues to focus on putting the clients' needs first. This is vital and should never change. I would suggest devoting more resources to in-house employee development that focuses on optional training for employees looking to move into senior roles such as team management, fund manager, analysts, product management, etc...