Charles Schwab - Good work, easy job, tough policies | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"Good work, easy job, tough policies"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is good, reliable work. Good shift, evening differential, good manager

Cons

Upper management has no idea what's going on.
Many people are leaving in my location.

Advice to Management

Empower your brokers.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Good job, good benefits. But upward mobility is hard"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits---medical, dental, vision, retirement fund, etc.
    - employee can get a 1-month sabbatical, paid, after working at Schwab for 5 years as an FTE
    -Good company culture.
    -Depending on your department, good salary. I work in marketing division and have a very good SF salary while I work in a smaller city in the Midwest.
    -I enjoy working with a lot of smart, talented, healthy, down-to-earth nice people and see a lot of nice people in other divisions.
    -upward mobility is easy if you are a longtime employee
    -ergonomic setup is a great benefit

Cons

- I know call center folks have pay similar to other companies, which is a too low-end salary rate being that Schwab call center employees need to be certified with Series 7 etc.
    - upward mobility is difficult in various departments if you are not a long time employee
    - I work in a division with some long-time employees who are unprofessional and outright mean and vindictive to their fellow employees.I was surprised that they cannot be reasoned with and called out to speak and behave in reasonable tones. Because of their long-standing employment nothing serious is done about their behavior.
    -as in any work environment, favoritism exists. Favorites, those with longer work relationships or friendships with upper management, get the better projects and the better opportunities. Some inexperienced people have been put in management or director positions. This has caused a lot of mistakes, resistance to process, improvements and stress overall.
    - Schwab's implementation of multi-geography workforce and the process of relocating SF employees, and letting go of SF-based positions and rehiring those positions in branches in smaller cities is difficult for SF employees. some long-time SF employees are threatened, who can blame them. This has caused some friction in the ranks when old employees must work with new employees who have replaced their old colleagues. Unprofessional things happen but these are humans whose livelihoods are at stake.

Advice to Management

I have seen some managers directors not do their jobs well. i recommend that anonymous reverse reviews(not complaints but reviews) for performance of upper management should be seriously considered.

"Any port in a storm, so if you need a job, Schwab has jobs"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the checks don't bounce and Schwab is committed to at least keeping up the appearance that they are forward thinking

Cons

it's no place to be if you have any kind of ambition

Advice to Management

Lead. Spend fewer hours holding monthly 1:1 's and more thinking of ways you could improve our company.