Charles Schwab - I'm not moving to Denver.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"I'm not moving to Denver...."

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've enjoyed working here for several years. The 5 year/ 1 month sabbatical program is great. Fundamentally it's a really strong business, well managed and with many good opportunities for success. If you can find a good niche, it can be a nice place to stay.

Cons

I can't figure out what my career path could be. I don't know whether I'll still have a spot after they consolidate real estate in San Francisco. Less pursuit of excellence, and more let's all play nicely.

Advice to Management

Be careful playing with people's compensation systems and job locations/ off-shoring. It's pretty easy to bruise employee engagement if you cut sales salaries or whack whole departments. Some senior management has a very condescending attitude towards employees & clients, although they hide it with platitudes. Get better at communicating honestly and individually about how strategies are going to affect each person specifically. Learn how to give more critical feedback to get employees to raise their games, instead of just 'go team, rah-rah'.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Character building career stop, but i'm looking elsewhere"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Bottom line, I work for Schwab for the name recognition and general public status. As a company, they seem to be keeping afloat nicely in the industry, but you wouldn't be able to tell internally by working there. Much of the positive corporate news and results that are periodically conveyed from management comes as a surprise to the workforce, which is then easily dismissed as a futile effort towards propaganda. Other perks: downtown location in the city. If I had to work elsewhere I might not be so agreeable. I also have to comment regarding the overall competence and caliber of most fellow employees with whom I've come in contact. They are impressive as professionals, and I only wish we were working together elsewhere.

Cons

Limited personality in workplace, high stress, no sense of care of value of workers

Advice to Management

Value employees as much as clients, they are clients

"Be prepared for heavy OT, little family time, and little understanding from management."

Former Employee - 401k Conversion Consultant in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - 401k Conversion Consultant in Richfield, OH

Pros

The benefits are great, plenty of overtime if you want, and it looks great on a resume. Bonuses are fair, assuming you are not on the outs with your manager, and they allow you to dress in jeans every day-who woulnd't want that?!

Cons

Lack of understanding regarding the job by management, way too much overtime, especially during the Christmas holidays and around the end and beginning of each quarter. If you choose what's barely left of your family time over completing a project, you will probably be penalized for it.

Advice to Management

Don't try to fit 60 + plans into a conversion department that can barely handle half that and not expect mistakes to happen. Immerse immediate managers (of the consultants and analysts) with a case load similar to those employees to see just how difficult it is to do everything that is expected of them. Consider adding additional staff to accomodate the additional workload during the critical seasons, specifically Christmas and July.