Charter Communications - Charter was a good place to work and I was treated well | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charter Communications

"Charter was a good place to work and I was treated well"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Sales Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treated fairly and compensated well

Cons

the process for implantation is somewhat difficult and prone to errors

Other Employee Reviews for Charter Communications

1. "Varies by supervisor, no more sales"

Current Employee - Broadband Technical Advisor I in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Broadband Technical Advisor I in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you do everything they ask you can move up quickly, if you ignore the scorecard metrics and do your own thing you won't
    Flexible hours/options to leave early when not busy
    Good insurance options
    Shifts are not determined by seniority, but by performance
    Very lenient attendance policy
    Extremely easy
    TVs around the call center allow you to be entertained while you are unplugging a modem for the 20th time that day or when there is 20+ minutes in between calls

Many reviews harp on upselling, this used to be the case but was fazed out around the beginning of 2013. You are not asked to upsell, or really even sell at all. The focus is now on fixing the customer's problem quickly and professionally so they won't have to call back in.

Cons

Micromanaged
    Great variance between how teams are ran
    Most of what is taught in training is a waste of time and there is no need to know it
    Customers, just like nearly all call center jobs, can be mind-numbing. The majority of calls are issues with their own equipment or something they did wrong but that won't stop some from taking it out on you or asking for credits non-stop.
    Extremely repetitive. 75% of calls consist of unplugging the modem and router, waiting 30 seconds, and then plugging them back in. This makes the job very easy, but very boring.

Advice to Management

Cut out the pointless information in training and teach things that are necessary for the job
    Have all supervisors on the same page, enforce the same rules, and instruct employees in the same way

"Broadband Technical Support Call Center"

Former Employee - Broadband Tech Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Broadband Tech Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn good computer and networking troubleshooting skills. It is a 24 hour operation, so you can work 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift with a shift differential pay. You can get free access to some streaming movie sites.

Cons

Stressful call center work, continuous calls for 8 hours nonstop. Inadequate training. No downtime in between calls. Irate customers always yelling at you. Charter charges too much for unreliable service. They always raise prices, but do not upgrade the quality of services. Too many frequent area outages. Micromanages your every move down to the very second, and you have to account for every second. Metrics are not feasible. There was more focus on metrics rather than good customer service, for example you are supposed to get the customer off the phone ASAP, or your metrics would suffer. If you stray from a script, you get penalized. If you go to the bathroom or have to leave your desk outside of the scheduled break time, you get penalized. I was actually told I would need a doctor's note if I had to use the bathroom outside of designated break times. Outdated and difficult applications. They like to tell you when you are hired about all the career potential, but the only place to go is on to another phone position or as a team lead, Personally, after working there, I would never use Charter as my cable provider.