Charter Fitness - I learned a little but not as much as I would have liked to. Disappointed in the leadership. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charter Fitness

"I learned a little but not as much as I would have liked to. Disappointed in the leadership."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warren, MI
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warren, MI

Pros

Dealing with and helping people. Learned about exercise equipment and how to operate a gym. Helped me build a resume and get a job that offered better pay and benefits.

Cons

Too much stuff happens on the fly. Would constantly get in trouble by reps at the office for making mistakes that I had no idea were mistakes until it was too late because you get next to no training. My "regional manager" was a nice guy but when he DID visit the gym he was more concerned with enjoying the "scenery" (including some of his own workers) and treating the gym like it was a rest home rather than trying to help his "managers" understand the gym industry better. Needless to say, I didn't really learn much at all. I got the impression that the gym was not doing very good business wise because they sell cheap memberships with very little money down so the learning curve was rather slow. I assume this would also explain why the pay wasn't great but health insurance would have been nice at least.

Advice to Management

You will never keep people that want to make this their career if you don't offer to help them learn the skills they need. Part of that is making sure that the people that are supposebly there to help you are able to do that or at least show an interest in doing so.

Other Employee Reviews for Charter Fitness

1. "No where to go"

I have been working at Charter Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Meet tons of people, Networking
    -Obtain much knowledge on fitness, health
    -friendly atmosphere, socialization

Cons

- unorganized company
    -no room for growth
    - no help from superiors
    - upper management/office not having a clue
    -no health insurance/401k
    -no recognition to employees, not even a thank you for anything
    - contradicting

Advice to Management

Say thanks to your hard working staff every now and then.
    Let them know you care.
    Make an appearance in your own businesses from time to time to see what is going on.
    Make more positions for people to have a chance to shine, or move around or up in the company.
    Provide adequate training to your staff.
    You lose employees left and right, good quality employees everyday and you do not even care.

2. "Good place to start but do not believe the hype ."

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Charter Fitness full-time

Pros

With dedication to the job you will learn valuable skills ,networking, customer retention as well as problem solving skills that will be useful in another job.Members and staff make most of the time enjoyable .

Cons

Little support ,broken promises, low pay no room for advancement past GM .

Advice to Management

You know your mistakes reflect and learn and give people the tools they need so they can be successful .