Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services - Was a Good job to pay college tuition; Poorly run by management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services

"Was a Good job to pay college tuition; Poorly run by management"

Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid for college tuition and I only had to work 20 Hrs a week

Cons

Cut the program back from that covered full college tuition. They now only cover 2 classes

Other Employee Reviews for Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services

1. "Chartwell at College Campus Dining Facility"

Former Employee - Food Service in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Food Service in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at a Charlotte college location. Pay was average. And stable since its a school. The company tries to reward good work by offering Employee of the Month mentions is quarterly publications. Also the company used to have a Winter Holiday Party that was catered and banquet style. If you can tolerate all the nonsense drama that comes along with it, I guess its a good short term job.

Cons

Poor Management. A lot of the unit managers seem to lack people skills. They were not friendly when speaking to customers and generally seemed only concerned with making numbers. Yes sales are important however providing good customer service should be equally important. The second issue I encountered was with interpersonal effectiveness with my direct supervisor. Me and several other coworkers felt like she could use some communication skills and we reported it to HR with no resolution.

Advice to Management

Take the time to thoroughly find the best management candidates who have both good people skills and selling skills. Have more group meetings and use feedback from surveys to put into action a working plan to solve internal problems.

2. "A terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, GA

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to know the students and forming bonds with them.

Cons

The pay is not what it should be due to the demands put on the employees. Not being able to collect unemployment during school breaks puts a hardship on the employees. Management doesn't listen to the employees point of view in other words you can't explain your side of things. I am talked down to on a daily basis to the point I hate going to work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to let employees respond to and be heard on issues that are creating a hostile work place. As of right now what they say is golden and your just wrong no matter what the situation is. They need to understand we have feelings and being talked down to does not build company loyalty.