Chase - teller | Glassdoor

"teller"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in New York, NY
Current Employee - Bank Teller in New York, NY

I have been working at Chase part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, 27% off sprint.

Cons

referrals is a must and must meet goals

Advice to Management

none

Other Employee Reviews for Chase

"When it comes to employee appreciation, management style, and style this company is horrible"

Former Employee - Teller in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Tustin, CA

I worked at Chase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, competitive salary and good hours to work.

Cons

Micro management, too many managers, high pressure sales, lack of appreciation, and you will be forgotten. I worked for WAMU and then applied at Chase in 2011. Worked for 2 years and was a huge fan of the product but not the management. I lead my branch in customer service, was told by my hiring manager and regional manager that I was "a keeper" and that " I display characteristics that cannot be taught." That being said, they liked me so much that when the PB position wasn't working out for me (I was at a cut throat branch, mind you I came in with 10+ years of proven sales success) they allowed me to step down to a teller position with my same pay rate of $17.31 an hour. This was after not getting a fair chance. After 2 months in the position they told me I had to take 5 consecutive days off per federal regulations, so I did. I also had multiple weeks of training and was out of the office more than I was there. My supervisor criticized me for production that month and began to say that, "I don't think you have what it takes." Are you kidding me? I was gone for more than half the month and her answer, "some of my best months were when I was on vacation... Unbelievable. I was also criticized for respecting a client that was a cameraman for the NFL that had to fly from OC to Seattle for the next days football game. I was familiar with the schedule and as a seasoned sales professional I know there is a time and a place for a sales pitch. No matter what I said to that guy, his thoughts were on the game and meeting his flight that was leaving in 3 hours. According to management I didn't do what was right for the sale. According to me I did what was right for the customer and told him there was much more to benefit at Chase, could I follow up with him at a better time, to which he agreed.

My pay far exceeded the average teller pay by at least $2 an hour. My hiring manager was so good he was promoted and trained to be a regional in another region within the first year. So he was gone. The next manager came in and was thoroughly impressed with my style and said he would sign off on any advancement into any other field I wanted to get into, however I had an outage that was high enough for corrective action so he told me to wait out that period and then we would apply for another position and promote me.

2 months prior to that warning expire a HUGE HR issue came up and 2 of the top performing bankers were fired and escorted out. It was by no fault of the Manager directly, but because he was the manager he had to go. He was laterally promoted and out of the branch fast. A new manager came in and during this time my original regional manager was promoted to a position in Florida. So now I had a new Regional and new Manager, both who didn't know me or my history. All they knew was that I was getting paid too much for my position. So all of a sudden I have managers standing behind me timing my transactions, breathing down my neck and applying large amounts of pressure on me. I felt like I was being harassed and targeted for termination.

Well I was right, they targeted me and randomly terminated me to transfer another part time teller to replace me (I'm sure at a much lower pay). I was not told why I was being terminated, the Manager just said there is no room for discussion we are terminating your employment with Chase immediately. No consideration for the fact that I'm literally homeless without a job. And to top it off, I filed unemployment was approved for it and they appealed it and won. During the appeals process they presented my termination papers, of which were drafted (according to fax and signature dates) after I was terminated. the judge sided with Chase and barely even let me get a word or statement in. I was pinned up against my old threatening supervisor and Chase's attorney. All so I wouldn't get the coverage I was in desperate need for. It is so hard to find a job when there is a gap or you are currently unemployed it is like the Scarlet Letter. They lied under oath about coaching me and writing me up. I asked them to show evidence of the write, to which they couldn't however the judge ruled that hearsay is acceptable.

I left a decent job to work at Chase and now my life is upside down. Beware before you work here, if it were not for the competition this company would treat their customers like crap. As they clearly treat their non-management employees.

My advice to you, work here for the money but when they kick on the pressure get another job fast!

Advice to Management

Stop with the ra-ra hookie pookie meetings praising people in the mornings. Show true appreciation for your frontline and take care of the employees. I was lost in the shuffle, targeted and terminated due to my high pay.

2. "HR department is worthless when it comes to harassment"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Chase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits via Chase, alot of very smart people to work with.

Cons

Middle management is clueless and wants to remain that way, HR protects their friends regardless of the infractions, pay is low compared to the rest of the area.

Advice to Management

When you hear a complaint, don't just pawn it off on a manager. Perhaps, as in my case, the manager WAS THE PROBLEM! Discrimination is Discrimination, regardless of the offender's heritage! Realize that people change!