Chase - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company treats employees with respect, grants employees autonomy, middle management always willing to roll up sleeves and help with problems

Cons

Company has not followed through with some promises, layoffs constant threat, investigations by federal agencies, dull work environment (I say this not expecting much from a bank).

Advice to Management

Don't offer college graduates jobs unless you are telling them the whole truth. It makes your employees lose trust in your company and never take what you say at face value.

Other Employee Reviews for Chase

1. "personal banker"

Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in New York, NY

I worked at Chase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chase tends to train employees to acquire adequate information on products it sells.

Cons

Like your regular bank job, traditional with glass ceiling for minority.

2. "A strong company to work for, but you definately feel like you are at the bottom of a giant corporate latter."

Current Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Chase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The first few years I had great earning potential. It was worth the long hours and high pressure performance based atmosphere because the income was quite good. Working for this company gave me a "thick skin," which I believe will allow me to excel above other employees when I enter a new position with a new firm. I also gained excellent customer service and communication skills to boost the resume. There is also plenty of opportunity to move within the company and get promoted to lower level management. If you are competitive, independent and a problem solver, then you can excel with this company in any deparment.

Cons

-I can only speak for the Consumer Direct (home lending) department within Chase on this note... but the past year or so they have made several adjustments to our compensation for the worse, while at the same time increasing the expectations of production and performance. I understand the company may need to make cuts in certain areas, but personally this is the primary reason for MY departure from this company.
    -There was a lot of miscommunication between departments in regards to operational procedures. This caused most of the daily stress and confusion.
    -You should consider yourself lucky if you had a direct supervisor who understood the job well and instilled confidence and motivation in you.
    -As an employee, you are a number within the corporation and your performance is tracked by numbers, and the numbers don't lie. It doesn't matter how long you have worked here or how good you used to perform. If you under perform you will be fired. Also, to get promoted you MUST have the highest numbers.
    -Its no secret employees will now be hired in at much less compensation than what the position used to pay. This job used to pay operations employees $70k - $90k. Now it seems to be more like $45 - $50k.

Advice to Management

I believe our CEO and senior management genuinely want the employees to be happy and successful. Unfortunately there is no way for them to know of the level of incompetence with lower level management. I have tried to express my concerns within the annual employee satisfaction survey and within a professional (and anonymous) manner, but nothing came about it. While it is healthy to breed competition among peers, I believe the company would be much more successful if it ALSO attempted to cultivate an environment to teach the under performers how to become successful. Please get involved with the management hiring process. You need to hire managers who not only excel in the departmental duties, but know how to communicate, motivate and lead your teams; not simply get rid of employees who are under performing while providing zero guidance.