Chase - Too many cooks in the kitchen | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chase

"Too many cooks in the kitchen"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Chase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent salary and decent benefits. Generous vacation for new hires. If you are high performing and show talents outside of current role it should be easy to move around/up. The company is soo big that there are transfer opportunities all over the world and if my interests change Chase likely has a department that will match them. Chase is also huge on training and while not all training here is super effective it is at least being offered.

Cons

Decision makers are fanatical about controls. They attempt to dummy proof every process which sends a message to employees that we aren't capable of thinking for ourselves and completing our jobs correctly. It sends a message of lack of faith. Employees are not empowered to use their heads and make decisions. They are instructed to follow processes to a T. Most top companies to work for (think Amazon, Google) encourage their employees to use their brains to make decisions. This empowers and uplifts employees. I think it's crazy that I am at the top of my pay for my position and was fairly aggressively recruited but now that I'm here get the feeling that I can't be trusted to do the right thing. My advice to Sr Mgmt... 1) You guys are great.. the culture you preach is not filtering down through the middle men. Cut out all these mid level mgrs. (Mgrs who manage mgrs who mgr mgrs... oh my!). 2) Trust us!!! For non-customer facing employees that can perform their jobs from home, let us. If my mgr can't monitor my performance from inside or outside the office, there is something wrong in their process. 3) Loosen up.. in sites that are non-customer facing give us some casual time. Even if it's only when we're meeting performance requirements. 4) Re-evalutate where you can loosen up on compliance issues. Are these fanatical controls all really necessary? Other institutions allow their underwriters to use their heads to make exceptions and evaluate credit worthiness while force folks into a box with nearly no options to get out. 5) Try yes a little more than no. Practical solutions on the floor are frequently shot down just as quickly as they are brought up. I've heard the same results occur for mgrs pitching ideas to their managers. The Chase way is synonymous with "NO!" as a part answer to new ideas, convoluted processes and rigid inflexibility.

Other Employee Reviews for Chase

1. "Overall great company to work for. The training prepares you for the job and the message is unified throughout."

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Chase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and work life balance are excellent.

Cons

The compensation seems unfair based on the location you are in.

Advice to Management

Make compensation plans more fair throughout the company. The area you are in ultimately determines your paycheck which seems unbalanced.

2. "A great entry level position"

Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Chase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation policy, teamwork, customer service oriented,

Cons

Long hours and unexpected extended hours, pay is way below average for personal banker, incentive plans never stick, management is lazy and typically selfish, little fish in large pond

Advice to Management

Take into consideration other ppl have families and lives too! Stop being so selfish and put yourselves in other peoples shoes sometimes