Cheesecake Factory - A love/hate relationship | Glassdoor

"A love/hate relationship"

Current Employee - Food Server in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Food Server in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As with all serving jobs, flexible scheduling is always a plus. Also, there are food runners and, in some locations, people who take care of the cleaning and marrying of ketchups, for example--all of which reduce your responsibilities as a server, diminishing your side work etc. The shifts are relatively smooth, even on busy nights, which is nice. I've worked at other restaurants where you run out of everything when its busy and your life sucks. But Cheesecake runs pretty well. You have what you need for the most part.
Also, its pretty easy to move between stores which is really convenient and helped me get through college.

Cons

Obviously the uniforms are horrible. Whoever thought of all white in a restaurant environment needs help. I understand them wanting to present as clean of an appearance to guests as possible, but come on! You learn to dodge stains and stay clean in a weird way, but some things just can't be avoided--like the dirtying of the bottom hem of your pants. However, the uniforms and ankle-length aprons are extremely uncomfortable...they retain the heat and sweat and it's gross.

There is also little to NO employee appreciation with the exception of a holiday cheesecake. However, this cheesecake is sold by Costco so is not the same caliber the restaurant offers guests. Cheesecake Factory would NEVER even think about selling the cheesecake it gives to its employees in the store. Also, there are never any contests or challenges that make work fun. You can get the "power tie" which gives you free meals based upon customer satisfaction ratings, however, the menu from which you get to chose your meals is severely limited--mainly to appetizers and the less enjoyable/cheaper food items.

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation and elevating morale should be your highest concerns. And trying to "hype" up the staff using just words during your alignment meetings isn't enough....

Other Employee Reviews for Cheesecake Factory

1. "The Cheesecake Factory- Server"

Current Employee - Server in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Server in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best jobs you can have waiting tables. On average I make $20 per hour. For me they have been flexible with my schedule and it has been a great job to have while I am putting myself through college.

Cons

When your store has changed general managers 3 times in the last 3 years you know that something is up. In my opinion all of the managers have had excellent qualities. I believe that this is just the nature of the corporate world.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are saying and if you treat them with respect and show them consideration they will do the same for you.

2. "The environment is a good work environment as long as you are good with people"

Former Employee - Baker in Palisades, NY
    Former Employee - Baker in Palisades, NY

I worked at Cheesecake Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great ambiance, great boss, and great co-workers

Cons

Very Busy from time to time and slow at others