Chegg - Best Place to work so far! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chegg

"Best Place to work so far!"

Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is all about using technology to enhance system reporting. Minimize manual labor. We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career. People here are awesome.

Cons

We can use more cross departmental communication. Sometimes i feel the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and this causes delays and confusion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Other Employee Reviews for Chegg

"As an author i am responsible for typing the solutions and work on my own time"

Current Contractor - Content Author in Irvine, CA
    Current Contractor - Content Author in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to manage your own time and work when you are available. They have two week deadlines, which is ample time to complete assignments

Cons

You don't get to have multiple books to work on which would make a steady income. So this can only be a part time job

Advice to Management

You should allow content authors to handle multiple books at a time if they are capable.

2. "The more rewarding part of my career history has been at Chegg"

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, above-average salary, unlimited vacation policy, free lunch every day, awesome gym, very flexible work/life balance, challenging (but manageable) problems to work on, great opportunity for career development... I could keep going on for quite a while. Chegg has exceeded every expectation I had and continues to do so.

I think that the greatest underlying success about Chegg is management's transparency. The leaders don't put up with hidden agendas, middle-management bureaucrats, or political power struggles--they keep communication clear and simple, focus on goals, and care about the customers as much as the future of the company.

Cons

The old HQ was getting pretty crowded despite it's nice 360 view of the entire south bay. The new HQ office (as of Oct 2012) doesn't have the view--but makes up for it with much more space to grow.

Although I don't see it as a "con"--I would suggest that it takes the right kind of person to excel here. If you're just looking for a job that you can go to for 8 hours and return home thinking that you were fishing the whole time--please don't bother applying. We have some of the brightest minds working on monumental problems with a mission to make a better world by improving education. There are days that I'll keep working on a problem past 5pm--not because I need to--but because I want to. In fact--even if I were to leave the company--I would still try to find the solution to that problem; because I love what I do. If you don't enjoy the work you do; you probably won't see Chegg the same way that I do... Of course, if you don't enjoy the work you do; you're unlikely to enjoy any job at any employer!

Advice to Management

Keep the course! The company is clearly moving in the right direction.

Be very selective when hiring managers as we continue to grow. The managers we currently have are all great--but its only obvious that we'll need more as we continue adding more engineers to our workforce. I've seen (and worked at) too many places ruined by managers that can drive the talent out of a company in the matter of months.

In fact--as unconventional and extreme as it sounds--an idea might be to try hiring managers on a contract-to-hire basis just to ensure that something like that doesn't happen.