Chevron - A great, stable, growing employer. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

"A great, stable, growing employer."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Concord, CA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Concord, CA

Pros

Good initial pay, year end bonus and benefits. Culture of safety. Great work/life balance (alternative work schedules). Lots of training. Opportunity to move around the company and travel internationally. Overall, I very much enjoyed my time at Chevron. They really do care about all of their employees and want them to be happy. Work hours are modest compared to the big 4 or any other professional services companies. At the same time, initial pay is higher.

Cons

After interning and talking to a lot of people I'm not confident that they promote the most qualified people. It seems as if a lot of promotions are based on tenure. Unlike the Big 4 and other firms where career tracks are drawn out up front and the time lines are set (but can be shortened by great performance), there is NO information given on what you can do to expedite promotions. There is also very little information on raises and how competitive pay would be 5 or ? years out of college.

Advice to Management

Give more clarity on career advancement possibilities.

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

1. "Great Company to work for."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in New Orleans, LA

Pros

The Bonus Compensations are a plus to this company.

Cons

The facility locations are all located in the "not best" locations to live in.

Advice to Management

You make the most out of your manager and your manager makes the most out of you.

"A great company to start with for training & experience but move on if you aren't "globally mobile""

Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Chevron provides a great opportunity for new hires to get a high level of training (on the job and in the classroom) and gain experience in a wide variety of assignments early in a career. Chevron has a very experienced work force that serves as valuable mentors to accelerate your learning. This "aging" work force also means that younger employees will be able to advance their career more quickly as the baby boomers retire. In my 8 years with Chevron, I found that all managers I worked for stood by Chevron's commitment to a work/family balance.

Cons

Since Chevron is an international company, they put a very strong emphasis on being "globally mobile". You have to be willing to follow their "suggestions" about when and where to move in order to stay on "The List" and continue to be quickly promoted. With the energy industry so focused in Houston and a spouse that works for another energy company, we were not mobile. I made the hard decision to leave Chevron because I knew that my career would stall when I refused to move. I can now stay in Houston doing the work I truly enjoy with another company while getting higher pay and no pressure to relocate. Also, although Chevron has improved in recognizing the importance of technical expertise, they still put much more value and emphasis on people who want to pursue a career in management versus a technical career.

Advice to Management

I understand that management must find a way to convince employees to relocate to some of the less desirable places that Chevron operates. They currently do this by promoting these people more quickly. However, this causes Chevron to lose valuable employees just because they are treated worse when they aren't willing to relocate. They are losing people that they have invested a great deal of money in through pay and training for 5-10 years only because they aren't willing to let them work and live in one location. They must find a better way to encourage people to relocate that doesn't punish those who do not want an international career due to personal and family reasons.