Chevron - Chevron | Glassdoor

"Chevron"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

Pros

9/80 schdule - flex hours - pay & benefits - work & life balance

Cons

It's an oil company so you have to deal with some negative press and conversations. Pay is about the same when compared with the other big oils. ExxonMobil pays a bit more. Chevron requires most of the employees to be mobil. If you can't move, don't expect to promoted very fast

Advice to Management

Keep the share prices up

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

1. "I always said I would never work for a large corporation for many reasons, however Chevron has changed my mind."

Current Employee - Marketing Division in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Division in San Ramon, CA

Pros

The opportunities for career and personal development. If you are open to travel you have the opportunity to work anywhere in the world. Since I have been here for the past 4 years, my hard work has been recognized with promotions and better opportunities.

Cons

Unfortunately the good ole boy network, does exist at the most senior levels in management. However if you can demonstrate your value and contribution, you will be accepted.

Advice to Management

Look more to your employees for solutions on how to solve business issues and less on what is the current trend from the consultants

2. "Great opportunites, mediocre management."

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

The benefits are great, the 401k match is extremely good. There is a huge growth opportunity since the baby boomers are retiring in the next ten years, so a lead position in the next five years is not out of the question. If you are looking for international opportunity then look no further, Chevron is truly a worldwide company. It is also one of the last big companies that offer a 401k match as well as a pension. I also sincerely believe that Chevron is trying to move towards incident-free operations. The work/life balance is something that is also stressed here, which is a refreshing change from some of the other companies I have worked for. The bottom line is that I go to work and I actually enjoy my job and the people around me.

Cons

Senior Leadership sometimes can have double standards which is a tad disheartening. There is also a bit of the good-ole boy attitude that still survives here, but that is fading as the baby boomers retire. The nine hour workday is also a bit of a drag, but having every other friday off more than makes up for it. Also, it seems like if you work hard on regular work, you aren't recognized nearly as much as if you lead a group in some project. I know other people have this problem as well, but this is probably the same throughout our industry. If you want to excel here, you need to garner leadership roles, and not worry too much about day to day work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as equals, and not like your kids. Just because we are twenty something doesn't mean that we don't understand the business world.