Chevron - Job satisfaction depends on the business unit you work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

"Job satisfaction depends on the business unit you work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9/80 flexible schedule, one of the few companies still with a pension, strong procedural guidelines for a multitude of process

Cons

Procedural guidelines for every single process. Very hierarchical, I couldn't just email my VP with an idea. Very function oriented, a Finance person couldn't go and do sales mid-career and then do business development and back to Finance, so in that sense you're pigeon holed. Ironically, the company leaders flaunt their "diverse" company experiences.

Advice to Management

Let workers pursue other development tracts otherwise when all the baby boomers retire you'll be in for a world of hurt

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

"Not for True Technologists"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Large Enterprise to practice IT on
    - Diverse employees
    - Pockets of talent

Cons

- Value of IT is overall seen as low-mid importance at best
    - Low value of IT leads to innovative employees and high performers having to focus their energy outside of the workplace.
    - Strong work ethic is encouraged but not valued
    - Significant turnover in technology staff taking place leading to tough growing pains for pre-existing employees and new incoming employees alike
    - Management not qualified to run technical teams leading to lack of focus and value of the real priorities
    - Lack of inclusion for African and African-American employees

Advice to Management

Promote technology more seriously and find ways to encourage technical advancement in the company. Attract and hire qualified management and stop trying to achieve excellence holistically through processes (i.e. - why does our datacenters keep failing). Re-examine the Horizons program for high-performers and their movement throughout the company. Sell management on development programs and encouraging them to promote staff throughout the organization where it makes sense. Take diversity and inclusion seriously.

"Campus visit"

Current Intern - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruiter was helpful answer all my questions, put my resume in the data base and I got a call for an intern.

Cons

The time I spent at the company was short lived "intern", but there were none.