Chevron - HES intern for Mid-Con business unit. Responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance and developing safe work practices. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

"HES intern for Mid-Con business unit. Responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance and developing safe work practices."

Former Intern - HES Intern in Houston, TX
Former Intern - HES Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good mentoring and advancement opportunities

Cons

Recruiters and HR do not perform their duties in a timely manner

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

"Suffocatingly boring work environment"

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in San Ramon, CA
    Current Contractor - IT Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

9/80 work schedule permits every three-day weekend every second week.

Cons

The work environment (IT) is unbelievably sterile. Employees barely acknowledge each other; the lack of personal contact in the offices is depressing. I have worked as a consultant and employee in many locations for other organizations, and this is the first time I endured such an oppressive atmosphere.
    There is little opportunity to exercise independent judgement and discretion - everything is process-driven and requires approval from multiple layers of management - communication by PowerPoint.
    While workplace safety is obviously a critical issue in an oil company, the company's obsession with it extends to every nook and cranny of it's operations - offices have safety instructions posted by the break-room toaster, employees will tell you to sit up straighter in your chair to be ergonomic, and the Wellnomics software installed on each computer force you to take to breaks, convenient or otherwise. Although the goals are laudable, there is a very heavy tone of "big brother" in the office.
    Their IT environment is far behind the curve: new laptops are now issued with Win 7, an upgrade from Vista enterprise (!), albeit with outdated IE. Their enterprise systems are mostly older versions. This was mostly humorous, except when one considers that it is hardly a resume-enhancing experience.
    I really found my time there very unrewarding, I'm glad that I moved on.

Advice to Management

Your managers need to foster work relationships that emphasize the human aspects of the workplace.

2. "A great working environment under safe conditions."

Current Employee - Third Assistant Engineer On Tanker Vessels of the Company in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Safe conditions.
    Care employees and people and environment.
    Good pay rate.

Cons

As I am new to the company, I don't see anything negative for the moment. But I hear from my colleagues, the 06:00 - 18:00 working hours for engine crew is more than the rival companies. That issue is the one, I've heard most of the times.

Advice to Management

Cadet training on cadet ships should be improved or maybe removed. The cadets, I see onboard and the ones, I hear from around, don't match with the quality of the company.