Chevron - Great company culture | Glassdoor

"Great company culture"

Former Intern - Petroleum Engineer Intern in San Ramon, CA
Former Intern - Petroleum Engineer Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for a few oil and gas companies now, but I only worked for Chevron for three months as an intern.

- Great company culture: teamwork based, so people help each other rather than treat each other as competition
- Great people (as cheesy as it sounds): Chevron has some of the msot talented people of any oil and gas company I have encountered
- Liberal company culture: people are very accpeting, no matter what your interests/beliefs
- Great benefits (401k, gift-card bonus program, etc.)
- Great work: lots of fields/reservoirs
- Great work-life balance
- Compensate technical staff more so than others: there is a group of technical "champions" (forgot the name) who are compensated virtualy the same as top-level management; I have never seen this in a company before
- Great volunteer program: great way of meeting people and doing some charity work in the local community
- One of the only companies (besides Google) that seems to actually care about its employees: ergonomics softwares installed on all computers -force- people to take extended breaks and talk to others around the office; numerous other health & wellbeing beenfits, etc.
- CEO is more "real" than others I have heard, and he was actually hired internally!
- The list goes on...

Cons

- The company is large, and thus by nature slightly more bureaucratic than smaller comapnies
- Difficult to work abroad during the first 5 years of work (or so I was told)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work (as far as I could see)

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

"Typical oil company, but not overly conservative"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability. There are lots of jobs that one can apply for internally and moving between groups feels like jumping to whole new company.

Cons

Lots of politics, bureaucracy, not efficient. They don't always promote the best people and performance reviews are biased, it all depends on where you are and who your boss is. If you get lucky job can be nice.

Advice to Management

Rate employees on real results and promote the real performers.

"Call center is a sweatshop environment"

Former Contractor - Technical Analyst in Concord, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Analyst in Concord, CA

I worked at Chevron as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Chevron is a stable company with its roots going back to the robber baron days. They are old-school greedy, impersonal and exploitative.

Cons

I gave up many weekends, holidays and nights. I sacrificed my personal and social life just to stay employed there. In 18 months not one contractor became a permanent employee. In the end, they fired three of us to save a few dollars an hour on our wages. The time I spent at Chevron was a waste of life.

Advice to Management

First get a conscience, then quit Chevron. In the mean time, stop treating your contractors like garbage.