Chevron - Lots of opportunities in a leading energy company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chevron

"Lots of opportunities in a leading energy company"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Ramon, CA
Current Employee - Consultant in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Challenging environment, lots of complexity in the energy value chain, lots of opportunities, strong values

Cons

Not as dynamic as expected, decisions take longer than they should, implementation is hard

Advice to Management

Make the place more dynamic, embrace some more risk

Other Employee Reviews for Chevron

"Women, Minorities, Business, and Non-Technical Professionals BEWARE--Chevron May Not Be The Place For You!"

Current Employee - Business Support Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Support Services in Houston, TX

Pros

Health and Welfare Benfits Only

Cons

Salary; Lack of opportunity for non-exempt and administrative professionals; Lack of opportunity for women and minorities; Unfair treatment by management; Constant presence of the "good ole boys" network

Advice to Management

Continue with unethical and illegal activities, you are helping my case and giving me more proof for legal action!

2. "Good place to work with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Planning Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Planning Analyst in San Ramon, CA

Pros

The best reason to work at Chevron are all the talented and fun people you get to interact with everyday. Whether working in a field location or in an office environment there is a very diverse group around you. I have always felt that 99% of the people I have worked with would lend a hand even when their own workloads are full.

I also really love the flexible work schedule, I could never go work for a company that doesn't offer a 9/80 schedule (you work 9 hours a day, 8 on every other Friday, and have every other Friday off). Also all of my supervisors have been very supportive of taking all my vacation time every year and needing to leave early for doctor appts or house issues.

I also think that our 401k package is very competitive. Its an 8% match for only a 2% contribution, and managed through Vanguard with very reasonable fees/good mutual fund options.

The great thing about an international company, is that there are opportunities everywhere. I think that the company works to ensure that its people are in jobs and locations where they would be happiest, obviously you can really see this in high performers. The work has always been challenging and different. I haven't really ever been bored in any of the various roles I have worked in.

Cons

I think that with any big international company it is very easy to get bogged down in red tape and bureacracy. I understand the need for processes but sometimes it does feel like things move really slowly. Also I think Chevron in general tends to analyze information to pieces, there is always a push to get more data and therefore we are further slowing ourselves down.

One of the big downsides of working for Chevron and living in California is the daily abuse from friends or even random people on the street about either how evil we are to the environment or gouging the public at the pump. Some locations where Chevron operates have a much better view of the company, but in California a good attitude towards any Energy company would be tough to find.

Advice to Management

I see lots of visible diversity in the lower management ranks and very little in upper management. I think that Chevron needs to do a better job of showing women and minorities that there is room for them in the high ranks or else its tough to keep people long term. The Gen XYZers are completely mobile, and tend to not have as strong company loyalty as our parents did - they will bail if they think the grass could be greener somewhere else. Chevron needs to use all avenues to retain strong talent.