Chicago Public Schools - THE WORST - Union doesn't help much either | Glassdoor

"THE WORST - Union doesn't help much either"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get paid more than private or charter, but honestly, it's not even worth it. If you work on the north side, you'll probably be fine, but the south side is not only dangerous, it lacks support and funding.

Cons

- Horrible principals who gossip behind your back and cause drama - Teachers who think they're still in high school and also like to cause drama - Union that is unresponsive/doesn't file your grievances in a timely manner - ABSOLUTELY NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. I was working 12+ hour days, only to come home and work for another 3+ hours and I STILL wasn't doing things good enough. - Oh also, they can move you whenever they want. Within 6 months, I moved from 2nd to 2nd/3rd split (no experience with either) to 1st grade with no advance notice. - You don't even teach. You weed through the bureaucracy and hope to keep your head above water.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Seriously. This district is a joke. CPS Is causing good teachers to turn their backs on teaching. Kids are slipping through the cracks.

Chicago Public Schools2016-04-26
  1. "Best New Company"

Former Employee - OSS Tech in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you love kids and technology is the best place for you to work. Genius Lab allows you to be innovative, creative, and the owner of your space.

Cons

If you don't have strong classroom management skills, the work can be tiring.

Chicago Public Schools2020-01-10
  2. "Case Management"

Current Employee - Consulting Solutions Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility in workday Opportunities to help school wide

Cons

Hectic days Point person for all special education problems

Chicago Public Schools2020-01-09

Discover more reviews about Chicago Public Schools.