Chicago Public Schools - Special Education Teacher | Glassdoor
  1. "Special Education Teacher"

Middle School Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools for more than 10 years

Pros

You have an opportunity to change the lives of many children who happen to have special education needs. The real reward is when you run into some of them after they've grown up. There have been occasions when I didn't recognize the young man or woman. I always feel good when they break out into a smile when we first see each other. The memories of what we shared begin to come flooding back.

Cons

The amount of paperwork is overwhelming along with many deadlines. I taught seventh and eighth grade. Those are difficult development years for boys and girls, especially when they have special problems. (academically/socially) The pressure to increase the test scores for these children is unimaginable. A teacher has to spend large amounts of time test prepping instead of delivering the necessary instruction that will allow these students to improve. The tests that are given at those grade levels are quite challenging for someone with low academic ability. Every time they're given, many students feel defeated before they begin. The teacher spends a lot of valuable time trying to build the self esteem of each child.

Continue reading
    Chicago Public Schools2016-07-31
  1. "Administration assistant"

I worked at Chicago Public Schools

Pros

Staff, Students, Families, Community, Vendors

Cons

Work load, one staff member for at least 5 jobs

Continue reading
    Chicago Public Schools2019-08-24
  2. "Great Working Experience"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked being able to choose schools closer to where I lived and others that I really enjoyed substituting at. I met many kind secretaries and teachers that encouraged me to return to their schools to substitute. Substituting in Chicago gave me opportunities to learn new skills, and experience different schools and grade levels.

Cons

Some classes were very difficult to manage, but that's to be expected as a substitute teacher.

Chicago Public Schools2020-02-22

Discover more reviews about Chicago Public Schools.