Chicago Reader - A great publication, and great coworkers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chicago Reader

"A great publication, and great coworkers."

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Staff Writer in Chicago, IL

Pros

This was the best job I've ever had. There was enormous freedom to write about whatever was interesting to me, however I wanted.

Cons

The problems of the Reader are the same across the news industry right now. I came in during a time of incredible, badly understood change. Shortly after I arrived, we faced an unwelcome buyout, layoffs, shrinkage, etc. I still think the paper does amazing work, but I really feel for former coworkers who're now doing the work of 2-3 people.

Advice to Management

Hmm, not sure what to say here. It was an awesome work culture during my tenure, IMO, and in another decade I would have been happy to stay on much longer.

Other Employee Reviews for Chicago Reader

"Star ratings reflect pre-Sun Times ownership"

Former Employee - Advertising Production Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Advertising Production Operations in Chicago, IL

Pros

When I was there, my coworkers were like a family to me. Everyone that worked there lived a life rich in Chicago culture, both in and outside of the workplace. Relaxed work environment that welcomed creativity and had leadership that fostered internal professional growth. Likely the best job I'll ever have.

Cons

The Reader was bought by the Sun Times and essentially the spirit of the iconic institution was killed. Ownership mistakenly wanted to run all of its titles in the same way, despite different business models, staffing, and purpose. They were cheap with their resources, cutting every department to the bone and setting unrealistic expectations without providing support or investment. Everything about the Sun Times is a con. Everything.

Advice to Management

Sell this wonderful newspaper to someone that respects it and wants to see it thrive.

2. "High Pay, Low Morale"

Pros

Kind management, generous pay and benefits, equal opportunity, exciting to be in on Chicago news and events

Cons

unsupportive, toxic, teammates do not want to help, everyone is competitive about sales. no one trained me, sink or swim mentality, no relationships between departments, lonely work atmosphere, quiet, hostile, discouraging