Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - One of the best places to work??? Don't believe it for a minute!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

"One of the best places to work??? Don't believe it for a minute!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Phenomenal benefits with low employee copays. Competitive salaries. Convenient to public transportation. Stable company making consistently high profit. Worthy mission.

Cons

While CHOP looks like a good place to work on paper, the reality is an entirely different story. I'm consistently amazed at how they manage to keep the truth from getting out and maintain this "top-notch" image that they have, and so glad to have found a forum such as this to warn people. I cannot speak for EVERY department there as it is a huge institution; I can only tell you what my particular department was like. I am reaching to find a word that could even come close to describing the utter insanity, incompetence and abuse that went on with the higher level of management in my department. People were hired without the specific experience/background they needed in order to be effective in their leadership positions, but their abuse of power was rampant. Employees were randomly targeted and SEVERELY mistreated. Hard-working staff was treated degradingly and condescendingly; pummeled with workloads that were not humanly possible to complete; harrassed by non-stop emails and other communication; and never given praise or appreciation for outstanding efforts, or rewarded with well-earned raises. There was no place for home-work balance whatsoever; long hours were expected. There seems to be no recourse for any of this, either, as everything at CHOP is highly political, and Human Resources is completely ineffective and bureaucratic. I would not work there again if it were the last employer on earth, and the horrors that I encountered and endured will remain with me for years to come.

Advice to Management

Be involved! Find out what is REALLY going on in each department -- do not take the department executives' words without a thorough and fair investigation. Have some discernment in determining where the real trouble is coming from; then get rid of anyone who is not working to create and maintain a harmonious and supportive work environment, and appreciate and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Other Employee Reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

1. "Great learning experience and adjunct to clinical work in pediatric physical therapy."

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Aide in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Aide in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Learning experience, variety of treatment diagnoses, positive environment, get to work with kids

Cons

As an aide, there are no major pitfalls other than balancing with academic work if you are also a student - it can be difficult to balance.

Advice to Management

X

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Family atmosphere, benefits, teamwork, access to resources

Cons

Middle management has issues, Becoming Corporate

Advice to Management

Little to no room for advancement