Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - My CHOP Experience | Glassdoor

"My CHOP Experience"

Former Employee - Research Support in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Research Support in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best job I ever had. I met all of my best friends here. The benefits are exemplary.The pay was good.

Cons

Mandatory flu shots put certain people at risk and hiring practices are ineffective.

Advice to Management

Do not require non-healthcare workers to get a flu shot. More efforts should be made to re-hire employees who lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Hiring practices should not involve rejections without first interviewing the candidate first and should always include the reason for non-selection as well as feedback as to how to improve on whatever the reason for rejection was.

Other Employee Reviews for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

"Best experience of my life"

Pros

Everyone wants to be the best; going to work at this hospital is inspiring and makes you want to be a better care provider for your patients. What's more exciting is the plan to expand across the US and the globe!!

Cons

If you are not used to cultured environments, it can be challengig

"Good technology, but challenging politics"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CHOP has a mission you can feel good about, and has great name recognition. If you work here, be prepared to answer tons of questions when people learn you work at CHOP. During my tenure, I was involved in a lot of project work, had complete autonomy and very little micro-management. Leadership was supportive of upgrading old legacy gear, which made my job easier. CHOP has a large array of technology and isn't afraid to spend money when it makes sense. This is a place you can definitely develop your tech skills. As an engineer, my hours were very flexible and life revolves around train schedules.

Cons

HR is a mess at CHOP - benefits mistakes, payroll problems, onboarding issues, etc - anything HR related is a disarray and takes 10x longer to resolve than any other organization I've worked. This is a heavily political environment - very similar to government. Projects have high budgets, but move VERY slowly, so the pace is something that requires an adjustment. IT has a lot of engineers, many who are lifers that bring very little value to the overall mission. Prepare to deal with very challenging personalities, some of which will make your work-life very difficult. This is a non-profit, so the benefits and competition are weak compared to other organizations. The review process is very weak and based on almost unobtainable criteria that make little sense.