Chili's Grill and Bar - Basically a disaster and a half. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chili's Grill and Bar

"Basically a disaster and a half."

Former Employee - Hostess in Hanover, PA
Former Employee - Hostess in Hanover, PA

I worked at Chili's Grill and Bar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having some nice customers who don't make you want to tear your hair out.

Cons

Badly trained because apparently the managers don't know what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Learn to train your hostesses better. Each manager told me something different about how to seat sections, and when one would tell me one thing, the other would say I was doing it all wrong. This cause drama between servers and I because I apparently wasn't "doing my job right" according to them. Most likely considering 3 different managers told me 3 different things on a daily basis. Get your "stuff" (I'll be friendly there) together.

Other Employee Reviews for Chili's Grill and Bar

1. "Okay work while you're in college, but don't get stuck here!"

Former Employee - Server/Cook/Hostess/QA/ToGo/Dishwash/Prep in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Cook/Hostess/QA/ToGo/Dishwash/Prep in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Chili's Grill and Bar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The social atmosphere--if you're single and/or don't have any children. Working with the same people day in and day out can foster some great friendships. Depending your area, good tips. Also, good opportunity to travel around, as you can transfer from one Chilis to another. I started in Tampa, FL, moved to Houston, TX, went to Pensacola, FL, then to Colorado Springs, CO.

Cons

Management is ridiculous. Instead of firing people, they will just hire more people on and cut hours so that people are forced to go elsewhere. Also, they wait until the last minute to post the schedule. New schedules start Thursday; you can expect to know what you're working on Wednesday, usually. They do NOT promote from within, so don't believe that BS.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and post schedules further in advance--people have kids and have to arrange childcare!

2. "Wish the goals and mission of the company trickled down to the front lines"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Chili's Grill and Bar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, discounts on food, fast paced environment, meet new people, working within a team.

Cons

The fun, laid-back, winning culture retreated years ago when the economy tanked and Brinker sold off other concepts. Panic spread throughout the company and many were laid-off. Those working the front lines of the restaurant (managers and GMs) were the first to get bonus structures cut and have extra-ordinarily difficult standards to live up to. No grills exist anymore, just pizza ovens that have fake diamond marks for chicken. Supposed to speed up cook time, but has made it worse. Things are always changing and it feels like the drivers are swerving the bus back and forth.

Advice to Management

Bring in some younger, newer, aggressive marketing techniques. Award the people at the front lines. Top management should have to continually work IN the restaurants to see what it feels like - they are very out of touch. Narrow your focus and be good at a few things, instead of trying to do too much. Also, customers want booths. Don't remodel restaurants and take away the booths.