Chili's Grill and Bar - Good for what it is | Glassdoor

"Good for what it is"

Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at Chili's Grill and Bar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you are trained, you should make decent money

Cons

Management is all over the place

Advice to Management

Offer better benefits

Other Employee Reviews for Chili's Grill and Bar

1. "Worst job I've ever had...and I've shoveled goat manure for a living."

Former Employee - Prep Cook
    Former Employee - Prep Cook

I worked at Chili's Grill and Bar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Those who worked in the front of the house seemed slightly happier with their jobs than those of us at the back. Though I couldn't tell you for sure. They did make more money. It's not a bad place to eat, I never saw food being handled unsafely or bad product being used. Health insurance was available, which is why I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Hired as prep cook, when I started there were three people making/portioning a list of well over 100 items during a shift, in addition to prepping things on the fly for the cooks. Absolutely no breaks. When I started there and asked about breaks they looked at me like I was insane. I was told I could take one if asked but was pressured never to take even a five minute breather. Work was expected to be finished in 8 hours but it usually took 9-10, and that is with three people. One of them was training me so that she could move to another store, so then it was down to two of us. Then our workdays were divided so that only one prep person was working on any given day. All items were expected to be finished in the same amount of time anyway, and I was lectured and written up for taking 12-14 hours to complete what took three people 8-10 hours to finish. They could not understand why I couldn't do it. I worked as hard as I could...I was hungry and tired all day, treated like a servant, frequently ignored when I asked for help lifting a 100lb bag of potatoes or finishing up dishes at the end of the night when I was ready to drop.

Advice to Management

Make breaks a requirement where employees have to punch in and out for them so that management has no choice but to schedule employees for at least a meal break or a fifteen minute break. Adjust expectations of how much a single person can do in a particular length of time, and add additional help when additional work is added.

2. "Good experience."

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Chili's Grill and Bar part-time

Pros

Nice work environment, good tips if you work in week ends. Flexible schedule, hours that work for you!Overall a positive experience if you like this type of job.

Cons

Long hours where you have to stand all the time during your shift, rude customers. They expect you to work really hard, no breaks.

Advice to Management

Set more reasonable goals and allow breaks for more than 4 hours shift.