Chipotle - FAST | Glassdoor

"FAST"

Current Employee - Crew Member - Grill in New York, NY
Current Employee - Crew Member - Grill in New York, NY

I have been working at Chipotle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Food , Coworkers were great

Cons

Too Fast because of the quantity of customers

Advice to Management

Management was cool

Other Employee Reviews for Chipotle

1. "Stressful and time consuming."

Former Employee - Cashier and Prep Cook in North Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier and Prep Cook in North Miami, FL

I worked at Chipotle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have great co-workers whom you will bond with easily, great experience (rolling burritos, making "quesarittos", trying new things, learning how to work in a kitchen, the ability to have a say in who gets hired (democratic hiring/firing procedure), great benefits and chance to advance with the company.

Cons

Management. The kitchen managers were not very good at what they did (forgot to list items in the stock order such as utensils and napkins), a lot of hard work that is mostly busy work, working off the clock (unbelievable right?! we would get clocked out at 12:30 am and still would not be finished closing the store because of tedious tasks, very inflexible schedule), not having a service manager or GM. Our apprentice always told us that all crew members would be spoken to before a team member was fired so we could share our views on their work ethic to minimize individual revenge to get someone fired and so everyone could make a unanimous decision. Our apprentice would fire people and lie to the entire crew about having imaginary conversations with us about said person who was fired. Basically, he was firing people with invalid reasons and not asking the crew's opinion.

Advice to Management

The micromanagement could've been much better. The kitchen staff could have done better on restocking and keeping enough people on the line to efficiently move the line. We did not have a service manager or a general manager, only kitchen managers and an apprentice. Chipotle corporation should have every step of the management ladder filled in order to run a "restauranteur" worthy store. Always keep the store clean and dont stress employees out by making us stay to the point of free labor and having to do unnecessary deep cleaning to impress district managers.

2. "REVIEW OF CHIPOTLE"

I worked at Chipotle part-time

Pros

- Chipotle professes to do it's best to use only meat and dairy products in their from farms that raise their animals ethically and in their natural environment, without antibiotics, hormones, etc. They also profess to do their best to use all organic, non-GMO grown vegetables in their burritos. This is an excellent reason to check them out as a possible employer, and the reason I give the restaurant 3 stars out of 5 stars, instead of just 2 stars.
    - Chipotle recruits it's management largely from within.

Cons

- The training is fun, but in the end, there is too much hype and not enough practical training.
    - Managers need more training in how to run a restaurant and, more specifically, in how to supervise.
    - Crew members do not receive enough training and the training amongst all employees is not evenly distributed.
    - While good customer service and friendliness is encouraged extensively during training, it is almost nearly discouraged in favor of speed of the line once training is over and actual work begins
    - Crew members can not receive a decent number of work hours. They are only allowed a maximum of 25-30 hours/week, though near full-time hours are implied in the training schedule. Work hours decrease rapidly within the first two weeks of employment, getting as low as 15-17 hours/week.
    - There is a "dog-eat-dog" mentality on the "line" and in general, and not enough attention is paid to who is actually doing what. Since the managers use other crew to assist them in assessing fellow crew members, this leads to evaluations that are far from even-handed and fair. This, in and of itself, is not the problem, except that too many of those crew members helping in this area are afraid of losing their own jobs or losing the already too few hours they have. This makes them less likely to give the best evaluation of their co-worker.
    - Quality suffers as a result of trying costs to pay employees, because they are encouraged to do too much with too few employees.
    - There is very little diversity, with a large percentage of employees being Hispanic/Latino.
    - Chipotle seems to favor younger employees to older employees. Most of the older hires, were practically gone by the time I left.
    - Far more attention needs to be paid to possible Department of Public Health concerns, i.e., in terms of cleanliness, how/where food is stored, how/where food trays, utensils are stored, trash disposal and, specifically, the habit of reshelving food, napkins, bowls, etc, whether packaged or unpackaged, that have fallen to the ground, back with other items to contaminate them, or storing food, food, containers, utensils, napkins, etc., too close to the ground or too close to unsanitary items, like floor mats, mops, garbage cans, etc.

Advice to Management

- Give both positive and negative constructive criticism, so that the employee has more balanced points of reference from which to improve.
    - If you are going to evaluate an employee, make sure you have valid information from which to do so.
    - Read the above pros/and cons.
    - Make sure management is not just trained in the practical work of the restaurant, but in how to interact with their employees.
    - Try to create a positive work environment for employees to learn and grow in, and not one in which employees spend most of their time worrying about whether they will have a job or enough work hours to survive on.