Chipotle - Great Team, Great Food, Garbage Management and unhealthy work tools!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Chipotle

"Great Team, Great Food, Garbage Management and unhealthy work tools!!"

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For food service the Teams and Food are way above par. Yes the work is hard, but he perks are better than other food service. Work hard and have fun..

Cons

1. Resturanters are only in it to CYA- they will stab anyone in the back to keep the company car. Every one that I talked to bragged about not having to work after they got the promotion (and we only saw ours 1 time in 10 months)
2. GMs(9 of the 10 i met) managed from the office cameras not the floor. In one store the manager would call the front line from the other line to complain about what they saw on the camera rather than come out and coach or help the team.
3. They preach it is all about the ' People, Food and Culture' but from a management point of view it is all about making sure no one is able to do there job as then they believe they would be replaceable (and they are as they don't have a clue as they were trained by people trying to protect there own jobs the same way)
4. Lack of real accountability, in the year i worked there as a GM I never once met my boss, but I did meet 5 Resturanters (and if they were good GMs at one time, getting promoted cured them of that) If I owned a company I would not hire any of them to even scrub garbage cans)
5. Everything is hand cut. This is a future Class Action Lawsuit waiting to happen. Every prep person that I have met has either shooting arm pain or CT due to repetitive motion with duller and duller knifes. This is the 21st century, us a Hobart or pay for it for knowingly and willingly injuring your Team.

Advice to Management

You are not reinventing food service, the big boys did the same stuff you did 20 years ago, learn from them or suffer.
1. Get slicers or you will continue to cripple you employees.
2. Standardize your Resturanter certifications, and re certify them every 6 months, you will be surprised.
3. Conduct monthly online tests for Team and Management.
4. Raise the desks in the offices and remove the chairs. Get your managers back on the food lines and sales floor.
5. Make it really about the Food, People and Culture not about reports, cameras, stopwatches and scared managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Chipotle

1. "It all depends on the manager and crew, could be an awesome time or the worst."

Former Employee - Line Worker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chipotle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great summer job for a college student to appreciate some hard work and the service industry. You understand the process as it goes and the job can be made fun with the right crew.

Cons

The job depended hugely on the manager and crew. Worked there two summers, the first was an engaged crew with friendships throughout. The second summer the manager did not handle situations well and it led to an unhappy crew which sometimes reflected poorly on the company.

Advice to Management

More qualifications to move up. Employees can move up quick because their ability to do all of the jobs, but it doesn't mean they effectively lead a crew or have leadership skills.

2. "Rewarding, as long as you work for it."

Former Employee - Take-out Specialist in Burlington, KY
    Former Employee - Take-out Specialist in Burlington, KY

I worked at Chipotle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free food, it's actually in your job description to eat the food prepared
    - Great opportunity for advancement
    - Awesome work environment, aside from cutting, burning, and maiming yourself every other day
    - Decent pay with a sense of dignity while working for a fast food restaurant
    - Reliable hours

Cons

- Management is irresponsible more times than not
    - Fluid work schedule
    - Extremely high demands physically and mentally