Choice Hotels - Great for the most part, but very bad over the past 10 months | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Choice Hotels

"Great for the most part, but very bad over the past 10 months"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits and the opportunity to learn.

Cons

Senior Directors and VPs don't have a clue about how to effectively run teams or their areas of responsibility. HR takes the side of poor performers that complain--and they are protected. And there are so many mysterious departures with corporate messages that try to thank them for having worked there. We can easily read between the lines here especially when people talk behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

I think that Steve Joyce is doing a great job considering what he has to work with. Unfortunately, beyond his most senior team he does not see the poor leaders at the Senior Director and VP levels that don't allow their employees to grow or bring their ideas to the table. And some in HR only care about their titles as well and not about the overall well-being of the employees. Steve...walk amongst the employees that do the work for you...those managers and staff on the front lines (Directors and below) and talk to them. Listen to them. And see hear (and see firsthand) how they really feel. Don't count on the engagement survey for that because not all can participate and have a fair voice and vote to share.

Other Employee Reviews for Choice Hotels

"Because ownership was a Management Company, property level employees rarely got a chance to be noticed for their ideas."

Former Employee - Director, Marketing in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Director, Marketing in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

If the Management Group was upstanding and cared about their associates, there would have been some wonderful opportunities for advancement, either on property or with Corporate. Choice had some great sales and marketing courses and I took advantage of all I could. Choice also encouraged me to take my CHSE test, which I did. They were a very education friendly Hotelier

Cons

Our Management Group didn't like Sales Personnel off property often. This didn't make sense, not only for training classes but in the way of cold calls. Their theory was that if I was off property making calls, I could miss telephone opportunities. This never made sense to me as most of my outside calls brought in SMERF business..

Advice to Management

I would say: Keep an open communication with the employees of the property as well as the management group. The management group is only looking for room nights, where the employees of the property looked for repeat business, as well.

"Great people but not a satisfying job."

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Nice people and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

No place for job growth by either training or mentoring

Advice to Management

Give the employees the training needed to do there job and you will get a better product.
    Do not promote someone just because they have been there a long time. If they would not pass an interview as an unknown, then they should not be given the position.