Christopher & Banks - The company was undergoing constant change. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Christopher & Banks

"The company was undergoing constant change."

Pros

Great employee discount. The customers are pleasant to work with. All locations have some different merchandise that you can choose from.

Cons

Upper management was always changing. Payroll was kept very low so not many associates working at any one time. Part time associates had very few hours to work.

Advice to Management

The top leadership needs to figure out who their target market is again. Buyers need to strike a balance in purchasing new trendy fashions, more youthful trends, and the classic designs that made the company a favorite for the 35-65 year old customer.

Other Employee Reviews for Christopher & Banks

"Good Store Level People, upper management can't find their way out of a paper bag."

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Store Teams
    -Employee Discount is awesome
    -Clothes are good quality, so having the discount is very much worth it.

Cons

-Upper management micromanages ~ The number of e-mails we get daily from our DM about petty things that we HAVE to react to IMMEDIATELY is astounding.

-Used car salesman mentality ~ ESPECIALLY regarding the credit card. Right now there is widespread panic about being fired/written up if you 'under-perform' in this area. Despite the fact that any ground level retail person will tell you, being able to get someone to apply for a store credit card has little to do with your selling skills and more to do with that person's financial situation.

-Technologically stuck in the stone age ~ we're constantly forced to keep track of credit card approvals, our daily totals, online orders, returns, etc on paper. That kind of tracking is necessary no doubt, but it would take a tech guy 30 minutes to write a program that could do it all for us, AND send real time data to corporate. Instead, we're forced to do it the old fashioned way, with calculators and paper. Then spend forever after the store closes writing it all up.

-Upper management out of touch with ground level ~ in our case, our DM (District Manager) last managed a store probably 15 years ago. It shows. The retail world has changed DRASTICALLY in 15 years and what worked then is NOT going to work now.

-Obscene daily goals ~ It's become a joke, we NEVER make our goals despite working our asses off.

-Culture of 'I don't want to hear it' - When the RM came to our store, we were told by the DM not to say certain things, or do certain things. When there is an issue in the store and we email our DM to inform her (usually this has to do with signage being misleading, or a sale concept not working) we get told "Deal with it, I don't want to hear it."

-Next to no positive re-enforcement ~ All we hear from upper management is how we have failed. Never what we've done right or are on the right track with. Visits from upper management are feared as we know that no matter what we've been doing right, we're going to get berated for something else. The DM coming to our store means it's going to be ripped apart and we're going to be told we're doing it all wrong. Despite the fact that we've been doing it the way she told us to do it last visit.

-Shoestring payroll - We're constantly under staffed as corporate is notoriously stingy with hours.

-Dual Managers ~ Most managers of CJ's are also now managers of CB's as well.A General Manager having to run two stores mean less time and therefore problems in both stores rarely get resolved.

Advice to Management

Get organized up top. Look we get that you've been slashing jobs left and right, but we on the ground are tired of trying to keep a failing system together. Re-instate full time assistant managers and go back to one store one general manager. Update the computer systems and methods for data tracking and rethink the "Take Action Captain" aspect of data collection. Stores have enough to do at closing without one having to collate the data from 15 other stores and then send it to the DM. That should be the DM's job, not an individual store's even though it rotates though the list.

Make your goals reachable, and loosen the payroll purse string. Your stores WILL be more profitable as we will be able to focus more on selling and customer service as opposed to merely surviving.

"Very low pay and appreciation for top quality managers"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Wonderful customers. 40 hour workweek

Cons

Low compensation. Having to run a store on as little as 105 hours. Too much single coverage. No breaks due to single coverage. Often being forced to cut hours on Saturday

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage schedules. Everyone has a life outside of work. Schedules can be managed from store level. Quality employees leave when a company won't work with family life scheduling. Requiring management to only take sunday, wednesday & Thursday off is not fllexable enough. Life happens. We don't need to sacrifice to have a well run business