Cigna - The golden handcuffs... | Glassdoor

"The golden handcuffs..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a great culture at Cigna that focuses on 'big-picture-improvement', whether it be with their employees, their customers, etc. They care deeply about their employees. yes, they offer very competitive pay and benefits, they have an outstanding home office with lots of ammenities, but most impressive is Cigna's promotion and commitment to open communication between segments, between departments, and between all levels of positions.

Cons

I agree that there isn't much diversity amongst the upper management, but I feel like that is changing. In my years there I have seen a lot of executive positions go to women and other minorities.

Other Employee Reviews for Cigna

"Fine as a starting professional position, but not if you're a self starter or if you want your advanced degree to pay."

Former Employee - Underwriter in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked with some very pleasant people. The level of professionalism is decent, although that can range depending on the department you're working in. First tier management is usually understanding. Work from home was a blessing given the commute.

Cons

If you're already employed, dont expect to get a salary raise as a result of an MBA. Once you're in a box at Cigna, it's hard to break the mold. Management tends to pick a very few and put them on the desired path, regardless of whether or not you're capable of doing the same. It's a running joke that the best way to get a good raise or shift departments is to leave Cigna, then return a few years later.

Advice to Management

Better career advancement and training opportunities. Current employee rating system is bogus, why should I bother writing a long annual self review if you've already put me in a rank?

"Due to growth and change there is always opportunity to move within the company and challenge yourself."

Current Employee - People Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - People Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good, benefits decent. There are a lot of good people who work very hard to get results.

Cons

Not all leadership is of a consistent quality or business acumen level. This can be challenging cross-functionally.

Advice to Management

Hold all the supervisors and leaders accountable for professional capabilities and actions. This might mean paying more for outside talent rather then promoting from within or making sure that the supervisor level is led by strong managers who can groom that skill set if needed.