Cigna - Financially Savvy, Ethically Void | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cigna

"Financially Savvy, Ethically Void"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They keep you very informed regarding the legislative changes that impact the healthcare industry. They strive to be proactive instead of reactive to the market. They offer flexibility in systems and processes that comeptitors don't. They understand where the healthcare market is going and how CIGNA will fit.

Cons

Its all about the bottom line and every year they re-invent themselves. When you represent CIGNA to the market you have to be prepared to explain why they have so much turnover and why they are always in flux. The market views it as unreliable. They leadership seems to dive into new markets and exit old ones without warning or long-term thought. The expectation is that you will respend to calls and emails no matter what - weekends, vacations, holidays.

Advice to Management

Pick a story and stick to it. People appreciate reliable partners.

Other Employee Reviews for Cigna

1. "Run while you can"

Current Employee - Claims Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Cigna full-time

Pros

There is a very good work life balance with the ability to select your work schedule. It is a casual environment with relaxed dress code. There is an emphasis on healthy living with monthly newsletters and tips.

Cons

Typical insurance company. I thought for my first six months of employment at Cigna that I truly found a career which was focused on helping people in times of need to find out that my ethics, morals, and values are not in align with the company. Even when more strict regulations are put in place, management looks for a way to "get around" the regulations. Focus is on how to close claims and not pay to increase the bottom line.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to stop telling your employees that they have to get use to change, and take a look in the mirror. New regulations are put in place to assist businesses in operating more ethically. Embrace them.

2. "Good Development Opportunities"

Former Employee - Actuarial Senior Analyst in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Actuarial Senior Analyst in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Development programs put great emphasis on growing leaders within the company. This was the best company I've worked at in terms of investing in its staff's development
    Regular communication from senior management lets employees at all levels have a sense of the company's overall strategy.
    Company messaging is positive and tries to emphasize the company's role in improving health and well-being.

Cons

The company is very large and very spread out. They do a good job at making people feel part of smaller groups within the company, but obviously it's still difficult with 30,000+ employees
    Cigna tends to change course a lot.