Cigna - An Opportunity Awaits You at Cigna | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cigna

"An Opportunity Awaits You at Cigna"

Current Employee - Data Entry Associate in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Data Entry Associate in Nashville, TN

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, benefits package, flexibility in work schedule

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, lower level payscales are marginal at best

Advice to Management

Empower the employee. Allow middle management the flexibility to make decisions on their own

Other Employee Reviews for Cigna

"CIGNA uses forced rankings for most departments which includes IT. Flexibility of hours is good."

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Bloomfield, CT

Pros

Flexibility of hours. In most cases if you need a day off or to work from home for a day or two it is granted.

Cons

The biggest negitive is forced rankings. Basically when it comes to compensation the bottom 25% of employees get nothing, no raise, no bonus. Your manager is forced to rank his team using a scale of E, S1, S2, S3 & N. E being the best rating and N being the worst. If your manager has 10 employees, he must have at least 1 N(not meeting expectations) and 2 S3(low end satisfactory). All 3 will get no compensation. If all 10 employees are very close performance wise the manager must be unfair to 3. CIGNA has been using force ranking for more than 4 years now. Typically force rankings are used for a year or two to get rid of deadwood.

Advice to Management

Drop forced ranking. The morale of the employees is the lowest in the many years that I have worked at CIGNA. Senior management is raking in the money but the people that are actually making it happen are not being compensated. CIGNA feels like forced rankings are working but they don't realize that approximately 40% of all IT employees are looking to leave. They feel the 75% of the employees getting compensation are happy but in reality they feel uncomfortable seeing fellow employees who they know don't deserve getting no compensation and do not want to be part of a company that does not value their employees. One group that I work closely with has been loosing employees and they can not replace them. I believe the word is out, no one wants to be part of CIGNA IT.

"a business of caring?"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

Though others might disagree, I think CIGNA offers a decent environment for growth. If you'd like to learn about the aspects of a job closely related to one you're in, most managers are very open to hearing your suggestions. CIGNA offers a nice environment to grow. I've seen many employees transfer from one department to another, be cross-trained between departments, and even move to other CIGNA locations. CIGNA offers flexibility with schedules, whether this is coming in later to work later, taking time off, making time up, or working around schedules that are different for one reason or another, whether this be home responsibilities or pursuing education, etc.

Cons

I suppose lately CIGNA hasn't been getting very good media attention. Through Sicko and various other communications media, we've heard some negative feedback. This doesn't necessarily make CIGNA a bad company to work for... just maybe a slight annoyance when dealing with comments about your employer. Another downside is CIGNA's PTO time program. Vacation, sick and personal days are all lumped into one category. Unlike places that designate a certain amount of vacation, sick and personal days per year, CIGNA lumps them all into one. There are complaints about our healthcare choices. If you're a relatively healthy person who only needs routine check-ups, these plans are for you. Otherwise you might find yourself complaining about deductibles or HRA funds. I don't find pay to be competitive at all. It's a joke to get a review and a raise and then have your manager show you your market value. According to that little piece of paper, I am currently being paid around $9k less than my market value. No chance for cost of living raises when we so desperately need them.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent and keep your word. There are too many disgruntled employees out there who feel fed-up with certain levels of management. Know your employees. It means more than you realize to have a manager who takes the time to touch base with you once in awhile. Supervisors are there to deal with us on a daily basis. It's difficult to really trust senior management when they couldn't pick you out of a line-up.