Cigna - An Opportunity Awaits You at Cigna | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cigna

"An Opportunity Awaits You at Cigna"

Current Employee - Data Entry Associate in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Data Entry Associate in Nashville, TN

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, benefits package, flexibility in work schedule

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, lower level payscales are marginal at best

Advice to Management

Empower the employee. Allow middle management the flexibility to make decisions on their own

Other Employee Reviews for Cigna

"a business of caring?"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

Though others might disagree, I think CIGNA offers a decent environment for growth. If you'd like to learn about the aspects of a job closely related to one you're in, most managers are very open to hearing your suggestions. CIGNA offers a nice environment to grow. I've seen many employees transfer from one department to another, be cross-trained between departments, and even move to other CIGNA locations. CIGNA offers flexibility with schedules, whether this is coming in later to work later, taking time off, making time up, or working around schedules that are different for one reason or another, whether this be home responsibilities or pursuing education, etc.

Cons

I suppose lately CIGNA hasn't been getting very good media attention. Through Sicko and various other communications media, we've heard some negative feedback. This doesn't necessarily make CIGNA a bad company to work for... just maybe a slight annoyance when dealing with comments about your employer. Another downside is CIGNA's PTO time program. Vacation, sick and personal days are all lumped into one category. Unlike places that designate a certain amount of vacation, sick and personal days per year, CIGNA lumps them all into one. There are complaints about our healthcare choices. If you're a relatively healthy person who only needs routine check-ups, these plans are for you. Otherwise you might find yourself complaining about deductibles or HRA funds. I don't find pay to be competitive at all. It's a joke to get a review and a raise and then have your manager show you your market value. According to that little piece of paper, I am currently being paid around $9k less than my market value. No chance for cost of living raises when we so desperately need them.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent and keep your word. There are too many disgruntled employees out there who feel fed-up with certain levels of management. Know your employees. It means more than you realize to have a manager who takes the time to touch base with you once in awhile. Supervisors are there to deal with us on a daily basis. It's difficult to really trust senior management when they couldn't pick you out of a line-up.

"Solid/unspectacular place to work..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Claymont, DE
    Current Employee - Consultant in Claymont, DE

Pros

Large, fairly progressive company; leadership at high levels seem out in front of market trends and have lucid plan for growing company and market share; organization is very accommodating with respect to work/life balance in my experience.. International division is a very strong contributor to organization - is small and still has some autonomy within overall corporate structure.. International's leadership team has improved markedly in past year with new faces and ideas in many areas.. business casual dress code.. education and training opportunities seem to be available and encouraged..

Cons

Promotion philosophy is mediocre at best; already seen a number of very talented, well-qualified people pursue and be offered positions of greater responsibility within the organization only to find that the company's compensation structure seems to cap would-be salary increases at 5-8% regardless of current salary.. many end up refusing rather than taking new position with % salary increase not commensurate with % increase of responsibilities. Some have left the company due to frustration. Lesson: not being cheated when negotiating entry salary with company will at least offer a higher base from which future promotion increases will be calculated.

Also, the health benefits offered take some getting used to - Health Reimbursement Account and Health Savings Account is it. Premiums coming out of the paycheck are a little cheaper, but the potential to pay much, much more out of pocket is definitely there. Dealing with administrative tasks related to paperwork (filing claims, etc.) while following up with Customer Service over the phone is another hidden cost..

Advice to Management

CIGNA does seem to do a better job of placing importance on work/life balance (remote working arrangements, etc.) than other places I've been. Would like to see a review of compensation philosophy as it relates to promotions - encourage promoting from within by allowing flexibility in awarding compensation increases.