Cinemark - Cheap company, but at least I got free movie. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cinemark

"Cheap company, but at least I got free movie."

Former Employee - Floor Staff in San Rafael, CA
Former Employee - Floor Staff in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company gives relatively good perks for a part time job with free movies and half price on concessions.

Cons

Company was over expanded and was cheap, rarely fixing broken things and clearly not caring to much about its theaters.

Advice to Management

Spend some money for once, especially considering ticket and concession prices.

Other Employee Reviews for Cinemark

1. "Good for a Temporary High School Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Free pop-corn, free movies, can be alright if your not in concession

Cons

Poor Management in the sence that they are mean to the "grunts"

Advice to Management

Treat your floor like people not grunts

"Can be fun for a while"

Current Employee - Usher in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Usher in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Popcorn and Movie Passes. Also if you were employed for a year, student employees can apply for a scholarship.

Cons

Unprofessional Management, and unfriendly workers. limited hours(about six hours a week)

Advice to Management

I've been working as an usher for three months at the Tanforan Mall located in San Bruno, CA and thought it'd be an excellent experience for a college student, but boy was I wrong. Management treats employees without respect and expects them to be familiar with concession stands within one day of training; an example of this was during Christmas Day, I had to operate the popcorn machine for the first time and when I burnt the popcorn, an assistant manager took over and told an Hispanic employee that I didn't know what I was doing in his native tongue. The Hispanic employee than tried to console me, by telling me that I was doing a "good job"; fortunately I am educated and realize that the employee was trying to send a positive reinforcement message and I responded with a smile. Unknowingly to both employees, I understood what the manager said in Spanish, since I took a beginning conversational Spanish class last semester. Either way what the manager did was unprofessional.

Also it is hard to impress management, no matter how hard an employee works, he/she will never get recognition. I guess its because majority of the managers are Filipinos and their culture is different from the Western Culture, but they do give preferential treatment to the ones who can speak Tagalog(Filipino), I should know because I am a Filipino American yet cannot converse in Tagalog, but can understand the language. Back to my point, if you cannot speak in Tagalog they'll management(Filipino Managers) will gossip behind your back; I've experience this because when I entered the break room about ten Filipino Managers were gossiping about employees and when I had to check my schedule, one of them gave me a stern expression like I wasn't supposed to be there, as I left the room after checking my work schedule one of the managers giggled behind my back. One more point about the management team at this location is that if you are an unfavorable employee they'll cut your hours to six hours a week, and if that unfavorable employee is scheduled to work on the next day, he/she will be notified that their shift is cut; yet for the favorable employees they'll have a twenty hour work week.

My advice to upper management especially to the Filipino Managers who works at this location, is to treat your employees with the utmost respect, and to give constructive feedback to employees. Remember constructive feedback is a tool for employees to improve at their field. Lastly give the unfavorable employees at least ten hours a week, so that he/she may have an adequate paycheck to pay for tuition and books for school.