Circle Furniture - Coworkers nice, furniture good quality, pay too low, a few bad practices made work harder than it had to be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Circle Furniture

"Coworkers nice, furniture good quality, pay too low, a few bad practices made work harder than it had to be"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Design Consultant in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Nice furniture, lots of customization so potential to be pretty creative. Other design consultants helpful and nice. The training was excellent!

Cons

It's an hourly wage job with commission, yet full-time employees are expected to work every week at least 42 hours and are never paid for more than 40. But we got commission on top of hourly pay.
  They promote those people who go on social outings with the people in charge. I did extra work on my days off without pay for the betterment of the company (things that had no bearing on my commission and i was not paid hourly for doing, ) received great performance reviews yet was overlooked for promotion again and again in favor of people who went out to dinner with people in charge and hung out with the person/people socially. Also, higher ups would come in and tell us for example, not to give out the special sale price unless the customer already knows about it and saw the ad. I did that and then got in trouble for it with my manager and with the customer when they found out. In this situation, the amount of discount for the customer only amounted to less than 25 dollars added to my commission, but amounted to a great deal of money saved for the company. So basically i made myself look bad, got in trouble and lost a customer in order to follow a request of an important higher up. It was hard to know who to listen to when directives conflicted. A female higher up said something one time insulting about my busoms and I was completely humiliated. It was in front of coworkers, too. Improper words were spoken to my coworkers by this higher up, too. It was accepted behavior.
. Also, the wage was lower than other design consultant jobs I've had before and the one I currently have. If Bosses like you and you go to dinners with them,your experience may be different than mine. Also, talking to your manager about higher ups directives when they sound wrong for your position would, in retrospect, help employees to figure out who to listen to.
In conclusion, my manager was nice and tried to be helpful as best she could considerating conflicting instructions coming from the office. My coworkers were helpful and friendly but advancement isn't purely performance based, I did not feel appreciated and felt that a higher ups crossed proper "boss" relationships by saying insulting things that were not work related.. I'm certainly not saying all higher ups caused me problems, really just one female.

Advice to Management

Maybe keep office staff doing office work, not in the showroom telling designers what to do, please raise the wage, pay for all hours worked, I believe that's the law. Higher ups please watch your mouth with employees. If you think a woman's bosom looks weird, keepit to yourself. No employee needs to be humiliated by a female boss, amd i was. All I have stated is true. Obviously other employees experience has been far more positive than mine. Some people work at circle for 10 or 20 years and love it.

Other Employee Reviews for Circle Furniture

"Great products, beautiful showrooms, high energy work environments."

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

Pros

Circle is a great company for anyone who enjoys working with the public and loves interior design. The company combines a youthful, urban vibe with a great family owned history, which makes for a fun-sometimes quirky work environment. Sustainability is worked into their mission, so if you care about the impact a company has on our planet, you will feel good about working here. Commissioned sales jobs are not for the salary minded, but if you work hard at Circle you can bring home a decent paycheck. Benefits are limited and like most places, healthcare is costly, but they did provide good plans when I worked there. For those interested in planning for retirement, you would probably do better investing on your own. Company matches were sporadic at best and my 401K plan really did not perform well in comparison to other saving vehicles I had in place during the same time frame. Probably a better fit those who are not concerned about long term savings or kids fresh out of college looking for professional experience.

Cons

Not enough opportunities to advance beyond the showroom sales floor.

Advice to Management

Encourage senior management to implement a team building bonus element, which would encourage sales staff to support one another.

2. "Wonderful Family Run Company"

Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Circle Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly wonderful people to work with! Owners really care about their employees and make an effort to get to know each and every staff member. 401K match, decent benefits, good quality products. Can't go wrong!

Cons

I did not like the fact that pay was commission based, but this is a personal choice and I knew my pay would be commissioned base going in. I decided to try it but ended up not liking it. Also, working weekends didn't work for me, again a personal choice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!