CircleUp - A great place to work | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A great place to work"

I worked at CircleUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- excellent team with diverse backgrounds at the interaction of finance and technology
- good mentorship program where you can learn a lot about either the business side of product side of a growing start-up
- senior management is focused on career development and truly cares about the wellbeing of the employees

Cons

- make sure to invest in software resources to help scale certain business units
- it would have been helpful to have remote work more available

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great start up to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CircleUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people who are smart and kind

Cons

Trying to build a lot of different business units at one time

2. "A DisneyLand for Enterprising Data-Scientists"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CircleUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my third full-time position as a data scientist, and by far the best. I'm given challenging problems for sure (no one ever said being the first to successfully "Money Ball" private equity at scale with a myriad of alternative data sources would be easy), but at every turn I'm met with support and inspiration from truly talented team members in a cooperative and nurturing environment. Also, the technical resources and top-notch data engineering team is a real game-changer when it comes to enabling data science scalability and productivity. I've worked in larger organizations where data engineering was not prioritized (ie. offsite/segregated or out-sourced), and the difference is night and day. The dedication to tech infrastructure and data engineering-data science team integration was a primary driver for my joining CircleUp based on prior professional experiences, and it has not disappointed. Overall, I feel empowered to do cool stuff, with a coterie of super smart and dedicated engineers and fellow data scientists at my back every step of the way.

CircleUp has been an especially great opportunity as a more experienced/ senior data scientist who doesn't want to simply be told to do some generic data analysis, but actually wants to come up with new ensembles and machine learning applications, try innovative new tech and work on problems that truly interest me. Furthermore, interaction and exposure with the fundamental private equity analysts has allowed me to focus on making applications and producing analyses that directly inform the investment process, rather than doing impractical and quixotic scholastic exercises.

In general, the founders and businesses heads actually care about the personal well-being of their employees, and work-life balance is proactively and genuinely encouraged. Almost everyone is super friendly; you won't be able to have a visibly bad day here without at least 5 people asking you to get a coffee and have a chat. Furthermore, there are no divas or corporate hegemony; anyone is able to and even encouraged to challenge norms or voice concern in any one of the many company-wide meetings; it is by far one of the most democratic work environments I've ever witnessed.

TLDR?
    1 - Camaraderie & Quality of Co-Workers
    2 - Amount & Variety of Interesting & Challenging Projects
    3 - Tech Team & Tech Resources
    4 - Flexibility & Work-Life Balance
    5 - Private Equity Investing & Credit Exposure

Cons

There aren't tons of random perks that you might have elsewhere in silicon valley (ie. free lunches everyday, massages, full-time baristas, giant expense accounts), but that is to be expected in a start-up, and worth the trade-off IMHO. I think the only other "cons" at CircleUp would be relative to someones experience and independence level. I imagine that more junior data scientists and engineers who need or want "hand holding" and who lack creativity or the internal drive to take on novel challenges would be out of their comfort zone here.

Advice to Management

You can't please everyone. It is great that you try, but I think it is best to pour more time and energy into those who already have demonstrated a dedication to being team players, rather than fretting over those who don't. More lunches in lieu of dinners and a company locker room/ showers would also be nice...And please, keep those free avocados coming.

Discover more reviews about CircleUp.