Cisco Systems - Best company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

Best place to work for
Work from home options
Internal trainings

Cons

Pay less as compared to industry average

Advice to Management

Pay structure should be revised according to industry average

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "No chance to advance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

My work here is interesting and so are my coworkers.

Cons

No chance to move up. No promotions, no raises, but always greater responsibilities.

"Great Start 8 years ago - now a really lousy place to work"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development Cisco Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development Cisco Sales in San Jose, CA

Pros

Open Framework and employee empowerment limited by excess process and layers of management. Culture is under considerable pressure with layoffs and reductions. Great place for a college student but if you are over 50 they want to get you out of the company. The loss of margins in their routing and switching business will cause many years of pain.

Cons

Too many directors, VP and SVP's protecting turf and process. Chambers blew it with Wall Street but the board gave him his job again for 3 years which is something many employees don't understand since all stock options are under water and stock options are gone. The story of being easier to do business with Cisco is complete BS at the transaction level as there are no changes in process to get deals done. If you complain at Cisco you are put on a black list by executives. They don't want to hear bad news so why complain if you want to protect your career?

Advice to Management

Fire Chambers and bring real accountability to the managers and directors. Stop the lip service to Walls Streeet since the reality is that Cisco has not really changed at the street mangement level. Stop kidding yourself as you are in a declining margin business in routing and switching which is half of your busines. John needs to run for political office since he is a brillant politician but an average CEO. Flip proved Cisco's executive incompetence. Try to build back innnovation into the core business and stop praying that video and new collaboration technologies will save the day. Keep focus on transparency and process improvement instead of just changing PowerPoint slides with success messages. I really wish the best for Cisco but it is now too big to bring fundamental change. I am looking to leave the company since it now longer creates wealth or career growth and is just a job with limited ability for me to grow beyond my current role. I do admit I am paid well by Cisco.