Cisco Systems - Scientific Atlanta was awesome until Cisco bought them | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Scientific Atlanta was awesome until Cisco bought them"

Former Employee - Technical Leader in Lawrenceville, GA
Former Employee - Technical Leader in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Co-workers were great. Very little in the way of office politics among non-managerial co-workers. Work environment was excellent, and I generally had all the equipment I needed. Salary was the on the high end. If you're fortunate to land in a group doing new development and be assigned that work, then the work can be very exciting.

Cons

In the video group I was in, the low level management was in constant flux, so there was no loyalty to direct reports. Sometimes as many as 3 managers telling a team of 2 engineers what to do. While there was a high level of technical skill and work ethic among managers, their managerial people skills were terrible. Software engineers treated more as cogs than people. Large influx of contractors added to this feeling. John Chambers preaches the "Cisco is family" ethic... I saw no evidence of it here. While I had occasional times of good work, most of work was boring... fixing or triaging bugs mainly. I know a co-worker still working there, one of the sharpest engineers I know, have his project cancelled. He's now talking of leaving in a couple of years. When I was there, the video group was constantly being reorganized. There is some opportunity to move around, but you're just as likely to get stuck in a dead-end job. I was very happy to leave this company.

Advice to Management

Teach you managers to respect and treat engineers as people. Create and enfore polocies that allow engineers greater opportunity to move to different groups.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Good, but not great, place to work"

Former Employee - Satisfaction Depends On Your Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Work from home options are prevalent in many teams, and are a great benefit. There is a culture of "work-life" balance, and most (but not all) managers recognize that. It's a fast-paced and sometimes fun place to work, again, in the right team and under the right manager.

Cons

Is hard to know "how" to get to the next level for promotion or pay raise. The goal you are given is to "perform at the next level so that you can be promoted there", but then, there is no definition of what that next level is.

Advice to Management

Define job responsibilities and give a clear path for advancement to employees.

2. "Proffesional and capable employees make for productive and satisfying work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Hard working employees focused on getting job done in collaborative fashion
    Good communication and transparency from senior leadership
    Opportunities for challenging and interesting work projects
    Employees treated with respect; Company shows strong interest in employee welfare/well being

Cons

Big and complex company makes cross functional decision making difficult and slows execution
    Ongoing organizational structure churn has created unnecessary distraction

Advice to Management

Continue to reinforce focus on accountability and streamline decision making processes to speed up issue resolution and execution
    Stabilize organizational structure