Cisco Systems - A stellar company with strong leadership and innovation. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"A stellar company with strong leadership and innovation."

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great company, good leadership, very good benefits, people take pride in their work and actually help each other succeed. Little pettiness, very professional organziation and community--coworkers are actually friends. Salaries are very good.

Cons

Very little downsides. High expectations, as this is a very high performing organziation. But that is to be expected. There is nowhere to "hide" at Cisco. If that's what you want or you don't have a good work ethic, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Senior management actually listens and overall is doing a great job, especially in Services/Consutling. Another plus is that they promote from within and have a very diverse management team. Everyone has an opportunity to grow, which is great to see.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Cisco systems work exp"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

good work and good research done here

Cons

bad management and bad leadership are done here

Advice to Management

nothing.... just hire good leaders

"Out of control bureaucracy threatens a great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

I like the flexibility of my job and the diversity of cisco's workforce. I have good opportunities to work on a wide range of interesting projects with people all around the globe.

I'm very grateful and proud to work at Cisco. In the current economic downturn, I believe Sr Management is working hard to avoid layoffs (by cutting contingent workforce and expenses first--who knows what the future will bring?). I also think they're being open and transparent about it and are generally doing the right things.

The hours and work locations are flexible; I am able to work from home often.

Cons

The lack of coordination across projects is appalling. It seems like I work in a giant crowd of project managers who do nothing but run around in circles looking for projects to manage. There are waaaay too many 'boards and committees,' the function of which is mainly interfering and delaying projects. People at the middle-management layers are simply not incented to work together, despite all the talk about collaboration on the part of Sr.

Management. As such, political skills pass for leadership and the people who have the best political skills get promoted. The political realities often ignore development realities, which leads to a scramble of ass-covering.

The collaboration technologies are over-hyped. While telepresence is good for demos and meetings where people just talk to each other and show presentations, the lack of interactive whiteboarding and 'working' collaboration technologies cripples my ability to do 'real work' with my colleagues across the globe.

Product development processes are also crippled; there's either no process at all or people use process as a tool for delay and obfuscation. This is the bureaucracy at Cisco.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to coordinate and cut projects. Remain open and transparent about decisions.