Cisco Systems - Great, challenging work; Industry Leadership and Innovation; Excess Politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Great, challenging work; Industry Leadership and Innovation; Excess Politics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

- Lots of innovative work
- Industry leadership, can impact the whole industry
- Access to key customers
- Flexibility in work hours and environement

Cons

- Attrition of senior technical and management leaders
- Too much politics in leadership decisions, not enough recognition of real doers

Advice to Management

Ensure that workplace is a meritocracy

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Cisco always provides good learning experience but very limited options for growth"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

If you are looking for a place to learn and grow technically Cisco is one of the best place. I worked with Cisco in 2007 and got rehired in 2011 in different BU. No where else you can get networking gears and time to learn as much as you can get in Cisco.

Cons

Cisco is not a pay master, promotions and rewards are primarily based on how you handle people rather than ability, performance or experience. Some BUs are way ahead in paying salary for engineers with similar experience.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Cisco are the respect and opportunities available. I've worked with some of the most inspiring people ever at this company. They make me want to work harder. Also, the work we do is very interesting and I rarely encounter anything dull or boring.

Cons

While not many, there are a few downsides to working here. The facilities are a bit sad, despite the facility workers being great people. You can tell this used to be a really happening place and people would really enjoy the environment, however with cost cutting we don't even have a cafeteria anymore, which is a big loss for me.

Also, sometimes you do encounter people that make you wonder how they got this job. Some of the interviewing seems inconsistent and you encounter people who take much more than they contribute. Luckily this doesn't happen very often.

Advice to Management

Updating the interview guidelines or just spending more time getting candidates would be worth while in the long run. Right now I feel like hiring is doing too fast and without enough care.