Cisco Systems - Experiences will vary based on job function and business unit | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Experiences will vary based on job function and business unit"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong financials make it a relatively stable place to work.
Decent pay and benefits.
Opportunities for movement between jobs are available, at least sometimes.

Cons

Painful 'transformation' of the company is long overdue, and may be too little, too late.
Finance more or less rules - often penny wise and pound foolish decisions that favor short-term gain over long-term success.
Some parts of Engineering have really poor middle-managers that are better at playing politics than leading technology and engineering.
Many products hampered by 30-year-old software technology and a fragile architecture, making software development a painful experience.

Advice to Management

Engineering leadership needs an overhaul in some areas.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Bittersweet"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Still some terrific folks around, despite the politicians' best efforts to eradicate the few free-thinkers left.

Cons

Those of us who have been around longer than 10 years remember Cisco as a cutting-edge environment. Agile and young, we used to make smart, strategic decisions. Smart acquisitions. It used to be fun. We're going on nearly a decade of indecisive leadership, unreasonable changes, lack of strategy, and all our decisions seem to be based on politics. It feels as though we've lost our competitive edge in the market and employees across the company are feeling its de-motivating effects. Pulse scores are low, opportunity is low, morale is low.

Advice to Management

Our leaders need to take some serious and real measures to re-evaluate the direction of the company. They may not realize how lackluster the environment has become. Trim the fat at the top and middle of the company. We have too many chiefs and too many people trying to squeeze into chief hats that there's nobody left to think and work. Who's planning the strategy?

"A company becoming too big to be able to innovate"

Former Employee - Senior Manager/Senior Technical Leader in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager/Senior Technical Leader in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits; global presence; strong eco-system and brand name

Cons

CEO has been lost around 2006-2007 (that caused CDO Charlie left the company); a lot of politics and fat; doesn't have any succession plan; can't retain talents (seems CEO and board don't even care); no innovation but still think things will turn around. It's sad to see this will become another DEC or Sun Microsystems.

Advice to Management

Get former CDO Charlie back to the company to be CEO or president; Mr. Chambers should just retire or be COB.