Cisco Systems - Excessive Cronynism - Too Many Politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Excessive Cronynism - Too Many Politics"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, training and educational opportunities, benefits

Cons

Excessive management, horrible stack rating - meaning you don't get raises or promotions unless you are someone's favorite in upper management, excessive work hours and work load, praise on how well you play the system instead of how good your work is. Politics in this company get worse with each layer of management. No one wants to hear that something won't work even when it won't, they just want to hear you say yes as they take credit for your work. Too many contract workers that have worked in the same position for 5+ years. Positions are made for friends without posting requisitions. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Advice to Management

Stop the cronyism. Allow review of managers by staff. Change the raise and promotion system, you should not go seven years without a pay increase. I am sure all the executives are not missing out on yearly increases.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Summer Internship at Cisco"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the pros of working for Cisco was being able to work on cool products and devices that will continue and improve the internet. Another pro of working for Cisco was a relaxed and comfortable work environment. As an intern, I was given the same freedom and regular employees, I could work from home, arrive and leave work when it was convient for me, and I could wear normal street clothes to work.

Cons

One of the cons of working for Cisco was that I did not feel like I was being challenged by the assignments I was given for my internship. I also did not feel like i was surrounded by a lot of very intelligent people as I normally do at college.

2. "I enjoyed the people I worked with"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in some areas of the company. Good pay and benefits. Worked from home for over five years made for a great work-life balance. If you find the right group the work can be very satisfying.

Cons

Too many people that don't contribute to the value of the company should be let go but the process for firing people takes 6+ months. Therefore, there are many people that are just moved around to avoid the firing process. Managers are "highly" encouraged to move people rather than fire them. Cisco seems to side with the bad employee for fear of reprisal and litigation.
    Too many people caught up in following the "shiny ball" and not doing the right thing for the customer.
    Little innovation from within the company. Difficult to get promoted unless you have a technology background.
    Cutting free soda seemed like a good idea from a cost standpoint but had a greater negative impact on moral. It's the little things.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at some of the programs to enhance the customer/channels buying experience. Get "real" feedback from the actual customer/channels using the application. Don't spend $10+ million on a program that could be done for 1/10 the cost.