Cisco Systems - Summer Internship at Cisco | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Summer Internship at Cisco"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the pros of working for Cisco was being able to work on cool products and devices that will continue and improve the internet. Another pro of working for Cisco was a relaxed and comfortable work environment. As an intern, I was given the same freedom and regular employees, I could work from home, arrive and leave work when it was convient for me, and I could wear normal street clothes to work.

Cons

One of the cons of working for Cisco was that I did not feel like I was being challenged by the assignments I was given for my internship. I also did not feel like i was surrounded by a lot of very intelligent people as I normally do at college.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "I enjoyed the people I worked with"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in some areas of the company. Good pay and benefits. Worked from home for over five years made for a great work-life balance. If you find the right group the work can be very satisfying.

Cons

Too many people that don't contribute to the value of the company should be let go but the process for firing people takes 6+ months. Therefore, there are many people that are just moved around to avoid the firing process. Managers are "highly" encouraged to move people rather than fire them. Cisco seems to side with the bad employee for fear of reprisal and litigation.
    Too many people caught up in following the "shiny ball" and not doing the right thing for the customer.
    Little innovation from within the company. Difficult to get promoted unless you have a technology background.
    Cutting free soda seemed like a good idea from a cost standpoint but had a greater negative impact on moral. It's the little things.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at some of the programs to enhance the customer/channels buying experience. Get "real" feedback from the actual customer/channels using the application. Don't spend $10+ million on a program that could be done for 1/10 the cost.

"A place lacking in innovation, full of cultural nepotism."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company benefits, decent salary. Allowed telecommuting.

Cons

The management and culture is just poisonous. They have no culture of innovation or risk taking. The development team is just focused on short term gains. As an engineer I was bored out of my mind porting crappy work from other divisions that were favored even though more than once we have developed a better solution. Five years later they relented and let us rework that project to produce better reliability. But it was after the issues that caused them to lose customers. I worked in a BU that was managed by one culture and unless you went to the same temple and were part of that dynasty you were passed up for promotions and good projects. They cleaned up some house since 2009 but the same issues take place that I discussed earlier. I can tell the issues I raised still remain to this day when I interview unhappy Cisco engineers that sound defeated and frustrated and want to work elsewhere.

My sign should have been when we could not attract college grads to join. I have to say I learned very little as a development engineer in the 10+ years I worked there. I did learn a lot about networking however.

Advice to Management

You seriously need to clean up house, and hire entrepreneuring engineers and allow them to take risk. Otherwise you will continue to lose your edge and attract rest and vest attitudes that will just bring the company down.