Cisco Systems - too much over head in the communications and meetings | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"too much over head in the communications and meetings"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a large set of good experience engineers pool

Cons

re-org frequently, bad decision made by manager

Advice to Management

manager need to spend time to understand the project, and made judgement based on evidence rather than conception

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Great Place to work, Excellent pool of intelligent professionals"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very diverse and culturally rich place and well compensated.

Cons

too many acquisitions, lost a bit of it's original identity

"Too hierarchical, too bureaucratic, out of touch with times"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 401k matching
    - Decent gym
    - Stable in most business units if you're contributing
    - Great if you just want to coast along in your career
    - Great CEO who knows how to make money

Cons

Cisco was probably the place to be in the 90's but not today. The work culture and environment is very hierarchical and bureaucratic; and worse no one seems to care about this. Old time employees are lackadaisical, out of touch and downright incompetent as team players. Another thing I've noticed is forming of "clans". I came from a company where despite the office politics when it came down to "getting it done" everybody worked together as a team. I am absolutely certain that this would never happen here, in fact, other teams would be glad if another team fails to deliver as this would look good in front of superiors. Managers here are extremely mediocre, which makes me wonder if they've ever had management training. The development tools for software engineers are from the Jurassic age (all command line) and the usual answer I get is "you'll get used to it". I mean, are you serious? I spend most of my time learning such archaic tools which has nothing to do with my daily job is pathetic. At least recognize that this is 2012 and people shouldn't be wasting time wrestling with command line utilities to get their job done. And don't tell me that real programmers use command line tools; there is a reason why GUI development tools exist and it is to stop wasting useless cycles jumping from one directory to another and running one script after the other doing trivial tasks.

If you're a new grad do not consider coming to Cisco, you will have no decent mentors and will be left on your own to fend for yourself. This is extremely sad since the products indeed are class leading and there is a lot to learn from senior employees but they are unwilling to share their accumulated knowledge.

Advice to Management

Cisco is too big to bring about changes, cronyism is rampant and the sad part is everyone knows this but nothing will change for the good.