Cisco Systems - Easy, steady | Glassdoor

"Easy, steady"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can climb corporate ladder or sit back and go with the flow. Sky is the limit at Cisco. You can chill with your feet on the ground if you would like to.

Cons

It is easy to get caught up in a relaxed working environment and lose your motivation. Salary is relatively lower than most valley jobs. Team members are older.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Territorial and Political"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is great to be able to work from home and maintain a relatively flexible schedule.

Cons

The marketing organization at Cisco is one of the most political organizations I have ever worked in. There is a constant land grab going on, people crowing about work they did that is simply their day job. Politics are commonplace, especially in large organizations, but this is ridiculous and not exactly a motivator. Also, make sure you negotiate well in terms of your incoming salary because raises are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Quit talking out of both sides of your mouth, take care of your people.

"Huge corporations are not for me"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can live your own life without being bothered too much... Availability of internal training which would otherwise be very expensive. Very good medical benefits.

Cons

Cisco is just too big. Most of the people are career hungry, but there's little opportunity to grow for 99% of the people that are there. It's a mostly Indian company (in my team of 20, there were 18 indians) and they just work differently from most of the other American companies.

They try to put a lot of pressure on engineers; I thought a company like cisco would go for the "correct" solution rather than the quick hack. False.

In Cisco, staying at the office 10 hours is better (i.e. gives you more visibility) than staying at the office 8 hours and be REALLY productive. It's all about "cover your ass". Not my ideal job.

Advice to Management

Need more diversification, people with different backgrounds. Revamp your old and tired products.