Cisco Systems - Good management and coworkers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Good management and coworkers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good, helpful culture within group. People were always ready to help, good mentorship provided to new comers. Management had good communication and were empathetic to employee needs. Being a large company, much scope for moving positions between divisions.

Cons

Some of the legacy systems just need maintenence and some bells and whistles development. Not much creativity and growth possible. Maybe the restructing has improved things.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Easy, steady"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can climb corporate ladder or sit back and go with the flow. Sky is the limit at Cisco. You can chill with your feet on the ground if you would like to.

Cons

It is easy to get caught up in a relaxed working environment and lose your motivation. Salary is relatively lower than most valley jobs. Team members are older.

"Huge corporations are not for me"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can live your own life without being bothered too much... Availability of internal training which would otherwise be very expensive. Very good medical benefits.

Cons

Cisco is just too big. Most of the people are career hungry, but there's little opportunity to grow for 99% of the people that are there. It's a mostly Indian company (in my team of 20, there were 18 indians) and they just work differently from most of the other American companies.

They try to put a lot of pressure on engineers; I thought a company like cisco would go for the "correct" solution rather than the quick hack. False.

In Cisco, staying at the office 10 hours is better (i.e. gives you more visibility) than staying at the office 8 hours and be REALLY productive. It's all about "cover your ass". Not my ideal job.

Advice to Management

Need more diversification, people with different backgrounds. Revamp your old and tired products.