Cisco Systems - Wanna know about Cisco? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Wanna know about Cisco?"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco is a great company to build someone's career at. Gaining 5+ years at Cisco is not only a resume builder for a young person starting his/or her's career, but also having the knowledge in the latest technologies (DC virtualization, CORE/EDGE Routing, UC, Telepresence, etc). I've gained wonderful experiences at Cisco and very proud to work for a company with a great name recognition and being a part of some of the most innovative ideas with some of the brightest folks. This is a great place to start a career if you only have 5 to maybe 8 years work experience. Also, you benefit from its strong benefits but it might be changing due to the down economy. The company paid for my MBA school ($60k) and supported me through any career developments I wanted to tackle.

Furthermore, I loved working at Cisco because they are world-class in how they treat their employees during a restructuring. Cisco typically lay-off policy is that you get 60 days to find a job within the company. If you cannot find a job within after the 60 days, then the company gives a 4 months severance + COBRA paid for during those 4 months. Hence, it is like a 6 months severance period. Also, Cisco pays 4 months of services for an executive search firm (Lee Hecht Harrison) to help you polish up on your interview skills, and resume building, and how to network. That is not bad compared to other companies.

Cons

Though, I think Cisco is a great company, there are some downsides. I think the number #1 downside for me that has been frustrating is expanding my career within the company. I started at Cisco within IT and after my MBA school, I wanted to explore to the Sales Organization and try to work with the account teams. Though I made that transition, it was very very difficult to crack into it. I did it through tireless networking and a ton of referrals. I will always be grateful for my manager in the sales org. to give me a shot. But truthfully, Cisco is a typical large company that does not allow folks to move from one discipline to another. The company would rather have you quit, gain the experience outside, then come back to the company serving the job function you would want. Or during the most recent restructuring (6k people were impacted), the company would rather lay you off, then rehire folks who have that skill/talent. I hate mentioning that because that is classic business-school 101. However, I know that HR is trying to rectify that problem. However, I doubt it will work due to the culture of the company.

Another downside is getting promotions. Though as I mention that it is a great place to start anyone's career (which is very true), the company does not do a great job of giving you promotions to keep you. I've been at Cisco for 5+ years and never had a promotion. Though, I've had several raises, never received a promotion (keep in mind I went from IT to sales which is maybe the reason I did not get a promotion. Starting in a new org. brings you back to square one on the promotion track). It is very difficult and political to receive promotions at Cisco. So something to think about, if you are interviewing for a position within Cisco, try to get the highest possible grade level you can, If you are a mid-level manager. If you are someone straight out of school, then you are at the mercy of the company compensating you cheap compared to its competitors.

Advice to Management

Try to help employees who wants to change career directions to facilitate that.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Working at Cisco"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Jose, CA

Pros

You can balance personal life very well with job. Again, it depends on the which group you are working with. You can just plan to work for eight hours a day, rest is yours. Benefits are good compared to other same level of organizations.

Cons

Management is old-school. It is hard to convince the management some times, as they can not see the value in the innovations. For the same reason, management fail to asses/promote good resources

Advice to Management

Fifty percent of the full-time employees in the IT department are way out-dated, and not fit for their duties/roles. Mr. Chambers team has to find a way to let the folks go who are not competent.

"great place to work if you like anonymity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco really supports work-life balance and has many programs for new hires to integrate into the company and socialize with coworkers. Groups are generally small yielding good sized teams, effective in getting stuff done. Benefits package is great as well. Management communicates to employees well (but doesn't necessarily receive employee feedback very well)

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy so its hard to get stuff done, especially with technology that functions across multiple platforms. Sometimes have to work long hours especially close to deadlines. The company is huge so you really only work with and get to know a small group of people.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.