Cisco Systems - A great place to be as long as you are learning and have management support. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"A great place to be as long as you are learning and have management support."

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Boxborough, MA
Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Boxborough, MA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many very smart and competent people at Cisco; it's a great place to learn. Cisco also has a huge effect on the entire IT industry and its customers in business and government world-wide. It's an amazing place to see how ideas and technology, especially networking, communications and collaboration technology are changing the world we live in. From within Cisco, you have a great vantage point on the future of the industry as a whole. If you have incremental innovative ideas that are well aligned with the strategic direction of a profitable business, Cisco is a great place to innovate and you'll be recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Cisco is a very large company in a prominent position; however, it suffers all of the problems facing large companies and also fails to take full advantage of its size and dominance. Businesses are run extremely lean and lack resources to experiment, change and innovate. Commoditization and competitive pressures which are already powerful forces will tend to get worse unless Cisco takes organized steps to change and fight back. Unfortunately, there is no real top-down direction provided to strategic change and no process or structure to develop one. Innovations that are both disruptive and adaptive are everywhere but lack coherence and executive support. If your job is in this domain there are LOTS of opportunities to contribute but it will be very difficult to succeed.

Advice to Management

Cisco has changed dramatically in its past and must do so again to adapt in a very dynamic marketplace. Cisco is in a very difficult position, punished by the market if it does NOT innovate and punished by the market if it INVESTS in innovation. The only way out is to be highly selective and strategic in the kinds of adaptive innovation it pursues, the companies it acquires and the businesses it closes or sells. It's not enough to manage this behemoth using financial criteria alone: Cisco needs to translate its technology vision into qualitative goals for the businesses and measure executives on achieving those qualitative goals as well as more conventional financial ones.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Not the kind of internship I was looking for"

Former Intern - IT Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - IT Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It was very relaxed and definitely really chill. The location of Cisco is pretty good because it's in San Jose and is pretty close to some nice food places.

Cons

I definitely felt like I did not learn too much. I didn't really ever feel challenged. Also, there are way to many meetings. So much that it is difficult to get any work done. Half the time, I feel like the meetings aren't very useful too.

Advice to Management

The management was good with respect to my mentors. I really liked them.

"Video"

Former Contractor - Video Production Specialist in Milpitas, CA
    Former Contractor - Video Production Specialist in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with great people in the Video Production team

Cons

Terrible culture, no color in the walls or cubicles, cubicles

Advice to Management

Upgrade those offices into a more modern space