Cisco Systems - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales in California, MD
Former Employee - Sales in California, MD

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is really interested in their employees, what matters is that you explain what you want and work for it. Home office is promoted by the company

Cons

Take's some time to get answer to your demands. The home office could be a little dissapointing, you must organize your to do's.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "It was a job"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Boxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Boxborough, MA

I have been working at Cisco Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked weekend shifts during college. it wasnt bad. it would only suck when we had to work 12hr shifts when someone needed time off. consisted of walking around, driving, sleeping, and going on the computer.

Cons

lack of coverage when needing time off.

"Great place to work, live, play and learn!""

Current Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being part of Cisco has, literally, been a life-changing opportunity & journey for me. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

Constant, sincere & authentic commitment to customers...at all levels of business, this is always and without question the top priority and decision-driver! I've worked at other companies that talked this same talk, but didn't back it up with practice or action. It's one of, if not the top,, reasons that I always feel proud to say "I work at Cisco".
    OTHER: Flex-scheduling; remote work options; autonomy; intelligent, curious, committed and passionate colleagues; organizational integrity; $10k annual education reimbursement.

Cons

Cisco offers lots of opportunity for lateral movement across org's & functions- which is great for those of us who like to keep learning and want broader organizational knowledge. The downfall of this, however, is FREQUENT management changes. There are also major re-org's every few years, also resulting in movement and changes in team structure/management. For many of us, our managers substantially influence employ,net decisions and ultimate job satisfaction. Unfortunately, at Cisco, you can't really base decisions on this because it could change tomorrow.

Cisco's top-heavy. Congestion in higher job grades makes upward movement slow and difficult, even if deserving, because there are already so many people in these grades that it's difficult to justify adding another.

Underrepresentation of women in leadership roles, particularly at Mngr, Snr Mngr, & Director level. Cisco's said this is a focus area, and while there hasn't been much change at most levels, we are seeing women fill the ranks at VP & SVP.

Cisco's huge. Ramping-up as new-hire takes long time- learning all diff efferent org's, acronyms, functions, etc. (But it's worth it.)

Lacking generational diversity. Based on my observations only... small percentage of employees under 30. I'd guess avg age Is about 40-45.

Pressure to perform and emphasis on results, means you have to market yourself. At times, I've definitely thought to myself "I could achieve so much more if I didn't have to spend all this time communicating my 'wins'". The culture's competitive though, and making sure others know what you contribute is how you stand out.