Cisco Systems - Comfortable job but not much room for improvement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Comfortable job but not much room for improvement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cisco pays well. There are stock opportunities, bonuses, and I work some with pretty great and smart people. It's very family friendly here and I have the flexibility to spend time with my kids and get work done. I know I have been given some decent opportunities throughout my career but it's not an easy path.

Cons

Unless you work in one of the big home offices (SJ, RTP, Richardson), it is hard to get career opportunities. Lots of politics and things (such as cool new products) move slowly. Also, working with a large global company you have a lot of hires outside of the US, which makes working with the different timezones hard.

Advice to Management

Know who is contributing and recognize and reward them! Get things out to market sooner. Work like a start-up instead of a big and bloated company.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Service & Support Manager"

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting and very flexible position, similar to a Customer Success Management in the SaaS world. One can gain access to senior management at both the customer and Cisco. Each individual defines his/her own scope of work.

Cons

Some of the work SSMs do could be eliminated by putting in place new processes and procedures. The role's flexibility is both can be a strength and a weakness, depending on how one uses it.

Advice to Management

More clarity on the role would be beneficial for the overall organization.

2. "great benefits for employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedules and great benefits

Cons

Career growth at Cisco depends on the team and product. If the team/product is one of the focuses for Cisco, the career growth can be fast. However, after the team has truly integrated into the Cisco culture/processes, growth can be slow. Cisco does provide resources for mentorship and career advancement, however it is up to the employee to manage it well.