Cisco Systems - Awesome Internship Experience | Glassdoor

"Awesome Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA
Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

All of my co-workers were very friendly, there is a great collaborative atmosphere, and teamwork is always encouraged. Managers are always very accessible and helpful, and frequently check in to make sure that you are doing well.

Cons

It is a very large company, so it can be hard to stand out at times, but if you do a great job on something, you will almost always get recognized for it.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work
    Excellent payLearn and grow

Cons

Can be stressful and a lot of work

"Summer internship"

Former Intern - Software Engineer I in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer I in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work you do will most likely have a real effect within the company.

Hours are pretty relaxed (the time you work isn't supervised, so if you get your work done quickly you can easily work less than 40 hours a week and still get paid all 40).

Interns have the opportunity to present their work to higher ups in the company at the end of the internship, which helps to get a returning offer.

Employees are welcoming and enjoy helping interns learn the ropes. I was able to go out for food and beer with my team.

Hackathons for interns exist.

Cons

They way they assign jobs to interns is completely arbitrary. I worked in network operating systems even though I had no experience in networks or routers.

Many interns have complained that their work is often slow and that having to deal with old code and legacy systems is excruciating.

The engineer culture is the old fashioned sit-in-a-cube and do what you're assigned type. You have to go out of your way and get approval to be remotely innovative.

A lot of coding internships around the bay area will pay significantly more and also provide housing and food. Cisco does neither, but will give a sign on bonus. You also can't get paid for overtime.